St. Helens 36

Warrington Wolves 14


TWO mistakes in four minutes from luckless second rower Steve McCurrie meant Warrington's excellent first half work came to nothing at Anfield.

St. Helens gratefully raced into a 24-4 lead shortly after the break to kill off the game and stretch the Wolves losing streak to four out of four.

It was a different story in the first 40 minutes as loose forward Mike Wainwright and scrum half Lee Briers cooked up some thrilling attacking play that required stout defending from Saints.

It was Warrington's misfortune that they met a St. Helens side finally starting to show some of the form to match their formidable reputation.

The game was certainly up to scratch as an exhibition match designed to draw new fans to Rugby League as it kicked off with teeth bared on both sides.

Centre Mike Eagar was looking strong on his return from injury and engineered a breakthrough on eight minutes which only broke down when winger Jason Roach could not hang on to the pass.

Bobbie Goulding kicked Saints into a two point lead on nine minutes after Warrington hooker Danny Farrar dived on what he thought was a mistake at a play the ball.

Stand off Sean Long put St. Helens further ahead two minutes later when he latched on to a Paul Newlove pass and showed tremendous pace to leave Roach grasping at thin air. Goulding converted.

The Wolves fired back into the game but the fans were left gasping when a Briers penalty kick bounced back off the post.

Luckily, the ball landed back in Warrington hands and Danny Nutley seemed to force his way over only to be tackled on to his back.

Still the pressure continued and McCurrie dived over on 18 minutes to put the score on 8-4.

It was open flowing rugby from both sides but Saints ominously stepped up a gear just before the break.

Mark Forster was caught napping when Goulding hoisted up a bomb from close and centre Damien Smith jumped up high while the Wolves winger was back pedalling.

Goulding goaled to leave a half-time scoreline of 12-4 that gave scant credit to Warrington's efforts.

Just when the Salford shocker of two weeks ago appeared to be fading from the memory, the Wolves train came off its tracks after 44 minutes.

The slippery Chris Smith capitalised on a McCurrie knock on to evade the Wolves defence and run in a try that Goulding converted.

Farce turned into tragedy three minutes later when McCurrie again failed to hold a pass and Long seized on the ball before charging 50 yards to the line. Goulding was again on target with the conversion.

Despite being 20 points behind, Warrington refused to surrender against a Saints side reduced to 12 men when second rower Paul Davidson was sin-binned for interfering with play on 52 minutes.

Two minutes later Adam Doyle created a little cheer by forcing his way over from close. Briers missed with his kick.

Saints increased their lead on 70 minutes when battering ram prop Brett Goldspink made the break before the ball was spread out to winger Anthony Sullivan, who completed Roach's miserable afternoon by evading his tackle and scoring. Goulding converted.

Full back Lee Penny scored Warrington's third try seven minutes from the end after Briers fed him with a long pass.

Farrar made a rare defensive error to let Saints substitute Paul Anderson in for a try in the final minute. Long converted.


JJB Super League round 4

Sunday, April 26, 1998

St. Helens 36

Warrington Wolves 14


Saints: Tries: Long (11mins, 47), D. Smith (37), C. Smith (44), Sullivan (70), Anderson (79). Goals: Goulding 5 (1 pen), Long.

Wolves: Tries: McCurrie (18mins), Doyle (53), Penny (73). Goal: Briers.

SCORING RATE: Wolves first: 0-2, 0-8, 4-8, 4-12, half-time, 4-18, 4-24, 8-24, 8-30, 14-30, 14-36.

PENALTIES: Saints 6 Wolves 5

SCRUMS: Saints 7 Wolves 11

SAINTS: Paul Atcheson; Chris Smith, Damien Smith, Paul Newlove, Anthony Sullivan;Sean Long, Bobbie Goulding; Andy Leathem, Karle Hammond, Julian O'Neill, Chris Joynt, Paul Davidson, Andy Haigh. Subs used: Ian Pickavance, Dean Busby, Brett Goldspink, Paul Anderson.

WOLVES: Lee Penny 6; Jason Roach 5, Toa Kohe-Love 6, Michael Eagar 6, Mark Forster 6; Adam Doyle 5, Lee Briers 6; Adam Fogerty 5, Danny Farrar 5, Danny Nutley 6, Ian Knott 5, Steve McCurrie 5, Mike Wainwright 7. Subs used: Chris Rudd 5, Gary Chambers 5, Warren Stevens 5, Chris Causey 5.

REFEREE: R. Connolly


CONDITIONS: Overcast, sporadic rain

Converted for the new archive on 13 March 2001. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.