THERE were ‘many questions left unanswered’ after an inquest into the death of a champion boxer from Dallam concluded, according to a coroner.

But after a hearing in Ruthin, north Wales, Kate Robertson, assistant coroner for North Wales East and Central, said she was satisfied that bare-knuckle fighter Christopher Wheeldon intended to take his own life.

The 41-year-old died near Llandudno’s West Shore on July 8, with his body discovered by a resident who was out walking.

Pathologist Dr Mark Atkinson confirmed a medical cause of death, with toxicology tests showed he had consumed a small amount of alcohol at some stage.

Mr Wheeldon, a railway worker by trade and Dallam resident, was a British cruiserweight bare-knuckle boxing champion, and after his death, followers of the sport described him as a ‘legend’.

His father, Brian Wheeldon, told the inquest that his son had suffered from depression at times, and going to the gym helped him with his mental health problems.

Christopher’s son said he last spoke to him on June 30, when he seemed his normal self, and that he sometimes went camping and fishing on his own.

Asked by the coroner whether his son had a particular link with Llandudno, Brian said he did not, but that he sometimes stayed at the family’s caravan in Towyn.

Recording a conclusion of suicide, Ms Robertson said that although there had been no indication that he intended to take his own life, the circumstances were enough for her to reach such a conclusion.

She said it was impossible to know when exactly he had died and told members of the family: “I am sure there are many unanswered questions which remain with you.”

Among the many tributes on social media after his death was one which stated: “Chris made a name for himself with hard work, dedication and unmatched skill in the ring.”

Another said: “He was a respected and talented boxer, but more than that, he was a kind-hearted person who made a significant impact on those around him.”

An online page was set up in his memory at where family and friends could pay their respects, and this also raised £380 for charities.