A MOTORIST who crashed into three parked cars and a telegraph pole was told he was ‘fortunate nobody was injured killed’.

Rafal Olbert got behind the wheel of his car in the early hours of the morning after drinking vodka with a friend.

He fled the scene on foot and was arrested after police found him in bed.

The 27-year-old appeared for sentence at Warrington Magistrates’ Court on Thursday after pleading guilty to charges of driving without due care and attention and failing to stop after an accident.

Assisted in court by a Polish interpreter, he heard from prosecutor Angela Blackmore, who explained how the offences occurred on September 28 at around 3am.

Police saw the defendant enter a silver Vauxhall Vectra and drive away in the direction of Molyneux Avenue in Bewsey.

They activated their emergency equipment, namely blue flashing lights, in an attempt to stop the vehicle, but they were not authorised to begin a pursuit.

Officers were then notified by residents that the car had crashed into three parked vehicles, as well as a telegraph pole.

A figure was spotted running away from the scene into the darkness down an alleyway. Officers seized the vehicle and Olbert was traced at a nearby property in bed.

The crash occurred on Molyneux Avenue in Bewsey (Image: Google Maps)

The crash occurred on Molyneux Avenue in Bewsey (Image: Google Maps)

He was arrested and interviewed at the police station, where he revealed he had been at a friend’s house drinking vodka.

The defendant added that his memory had been affected by the alcohol and he could not remember the crash, but he remembered climbing out of the car window.

Olbert, who appeared in court without legal representation, admitted having a ‘big problem’ with alcohol and said that he realises he has to change.

He spoke of how he came to this country as he ‘wanted to change his life for the better’, and said that he was willing to ‘attend any therapy needed of him’.

Before sentencing, chair magistrate Keith Gleave said: “It was reckless and thoughtless act. It was fortunate no person was injured or killed.”

Olbert, of Southworth Avenue in Bewsey, was sentenced to an 18-month community order, including up to 35 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

He must also abide by an alcohol abstinence monitoring requirement for a maximum of 120 days, pay £85 in court costs and a £95 victim surcharge.

Magistrates also ordered that10 points be added to his driving licence.