A FOOTBALL fan who racially abused a goalkeeper at a Warrington Town game has been given a ‘last chance’ by a judge.

Dean Simpson was last month convicted of after abusing South Shields stopper Myles Boney during an FA Cup clash with the Yellows at Cantilever Park in September 2020.

The 24-year-old returned to Warrington Magistrates Court for sentencing today, Thursday, where he was spared prison.

While penalties were being taken the defendant, from Nantwich, began to racially abuse the keeper while stood behind his goal.

Simpson shouted abuse and made monkey gestures, attempted to boot the football out of the ground and kicked a plastic cup towards South Shields players.

The court was told that he was heard calling Mr Boney either ‘donkey’ or ‘monkey’ as well as shouting ‘white lives matter’ at him.

Warrington Town posted a picture of the culprit on Twitter in order to establish his identity following the incident.

Simpson was identified and later arrested and charged with causing racially aggravated intentional harassment, and was found guilty of this count after a trial.

He was made subject to a three-year football banning order in 2018 after throwing a missile at a game, but this does not cover games at Town’s level.

In a statement read to the court, Mr Boney said he experienced anxiety after the incident and he was left feeling ‘sad and disappointed’.

He added: "I have not experienced any form of racial abuse previously, and I was totally shaken by this situation."

Defencing, Peter Green told the court that his client was ‘petrified’ of being sentenced to prison – adding: “It's important that this defendant has the opportunity to work with the probation service to perhaps change his attitude and, more importantly I think, to grow up."

Simpson, who said he had consumed between four and six pints before the racist tirade and was described as having ‘zero remorse’, was handed a 12-week imprisonment suspended for two years.

Sentencing, district judge Nicholas Sanders said: "You are making a hash of your life, Mr Simpson.

"It's going to get a lot worse – a lot, lot worse – if you don't start taking responsibility for your actions and starting to behave properly.

"This is your last chance.

"I struggle to understand what goes through the mind of someone who thinks it is big, clever or acceptable to behave in this sort of way towards anyone as a result of their skin colour."

Simpson was also handed a rehabilitation requirement of up to 30 days and given a 12-month curfew preventing him from leaving home on Fridays from 7pm until 6am and between midday and 4am on Saturdays and Sundays.

He was ordered to pay £720 in court costs, £500 compensation to Mr Boney and a £128 victim surcharge.