WARRINGTON Wolves were among the clubs to host the New Zealand tourists 50 years ago this month.

And The Wire succeeded where Great Britain couldn't in the Test series, as seen in the cine film footage above captured by Cecil Waller and his son Mike.

Winger Keith Pitman was among the scorers against his fellow countrymen as Warrington defeated the Kiwis 13-2 at Wilderspool Stadium on September 18, 1971.

Warrington Guardian:

A week later, New Zealand won the opening test against GB at The Willows, Salford, 18-13.

In fairness to the 26-man touring party, the clash with Alex Murphy's Wire side was their sixth game in 15 days and their fourth defeat to a club side, having also lost 18-8 at St Helens, 12-10 at Hull KR and 25-8 at Castleford.

The Kiwis, coached by Lory Blanchard, went on to win their first Test series on UK soil and then headed over to France where they racked up another series success, 2-0.

But they did not give The Wire too many problems at Wilderspool and three tries in the second half gave the hosts a victory they thoroughly deserved.

Warrington Guardian:

Jack Steel reported for Warrington Guardian: "Warrington were never in any real danger of defeat.

"They contained everything the New Zealanders had to offer, then put in a final spurt that brought them three tries in the last 23 minutes."

Warrington Guardian:

Wire prop Dave Chisnall, who left the field with a displaced shoulder 10 minutes from time, scored the first try and did the leading up work to the second.

Warrington Guardian:

"Warrington's first try came 17 minutes into the second half," reported Steel.

"Chisnall, held short of the line, quickly played the ball forward and dived over with three defenders hanging on.

"Claims that he dropped the ball were over-ruled by the referee. Whitehead goaled.

"It was also Chisnall who broke away for Warrington to score again.

"He kicked ahead and New Zealand failed to collect. Play went to the left where Murphy's long pass sent Pitman on a high dive to the left corner. Chisnall was hurt and replaced by Jones.

Warrington Guardian:

"The final score three minutes from time came when Wanbon was held close in.

"Clarkson appeared to knock-on from Fleet, but play went on and Henighan got in on the right."

Warrington Guardian:

Wire team: Derek Whitehead; Mick Hennighan, Bob Fleet, Dave Cunliffe, Keith Pitman; Alex Murphy, Parry Gordon; Dave Chisnall, George Heard, Brian Brady, Brian Gregory, Bobby Wanbon, Geoff Clarkson. Sub used: Phil Jones

New Zealand tour party: Mocky Brereton, Bill Burgoyne, Graeme Cooksley, Roy Christian (captain), Bill Deacon, Shane Dowsett, Murray Eade, Jim Fisher, Doug Gailey, John Greengrass, Tony Kriletich (vice-captain), Bernie Lowther, Don Mann, Mike McClennan, Bob McGuinn, John O’Sullivan, Phil Orchard, Robert Orchard, Garry Smith, Dave Sorensen, Ken Stirling, Henry Tatana, John Whittaker, Dennis Williams, Ray Williams, Gary Woollard.

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Guardian: