Episode 3 of an amazing new series featuring a Warrington family's previously unpublished cine film footage of Wire matches in the 1960s and 1970s

WARRINGTON got first crack at the 1967/68 Australian tourists and highlights, including Willie Aspinall's try, can be seen in the fantastic footage above.

Wire fan Mike Waller, 67, from Appleton and his father Cecil recorded numerous matches on cine film in the 1960s and 1970s, with this personal collection now being shared for the first time for all to enjoy.

Aspinall, Keith Affleck and Brian Glover are among the Wire players of the day to have the spotlight on them in this particular footage.

Warrington Guardian:

Brian Glover

> Watch cine film footage of Alex Murphy in magical form for Wire

Warrington were defeated 16-7 at Wilderspool Stadium in what was the first game of the Kangaroos' 27-match tour of England and France which started on September 30, 1967, and did not finish until January 7, 1968.

Wire historian and fan Stanski, previously reflecting on the match, wrote: "Radio 1 and Radio 2 celebrated their first airings on the same day.

"The opening fixture of the Kangaroos' 1967 tour was played in front of a crowd of 11,642, with most of it shown live on BBC1.

"The tourists paid the complement of fielding a near Test team.

Warrington Guardian:

"When both Australian hookers were out due to inoculation soreness, Noel Kelly took over the role.

"Warrington’s hopes of having a full strength team were dashed when scrum half maestro Parry Gordon, and second row forward Ken Parr failed late fitness tests.

"A comfortable victory 16-7 for Australia ensued, with some of the ‘Wire’ players maybe having one eye on the Lancashire Cup Final with St Helens due the following weekend.

Warrington Guardian:

The Warrington team that day

"The only reason the scoreline was not more emphatic was Australia losing the scrums 12-25.

"Noel Kelly, who had been sent off in a previous Warrington-Australia fixture, was in the wars again.

"Injured in only the fourth minute, he carried on for a further 30 minutes, before being substituted. It later transpired that he had broken his nose!

"Scrum-half Billy Smith stole the limelight.

"His hard work, allied to lightening speed, set up the two tries for Australia.

Warrington Guardian:

"The Australians took the lead in the ninth minute.

"From a scrum 20 metres out Smith and Raper flashed through to send winger Irvine flying in, and Langlands goaled.

"Langlands then added a fine penalty from near halfway, with Affleck replying for Warrington.

"The rest of the half belonged to Australia, who used the wind to good effect, also helping Langlands to add two further penalties.

"Four minutes from half time Smith once again showed his class, flashing past four defenders as he cut to the left, before sending out a high pass that King gathered in, and raced in at the corner. Langlands narrowly missed the conversion.

"The game was more or less over at half time with Australia leading 14-2.

"Langlands kicked a penalty in the first minute of the second half, and it was only six minutes from time that Warrington saved some dignity when Coupe cut in from the wing, and gave Willie Aspinall a clear run to the posts for a try, Affleck adding the extras."

A different perspective on the match can be seen in this YouTube footage: