DANIEL Sharples has been jailed for life for the murder of Michael Mairs.

The killer, of Grisedale Avenue in Orford, brutally battered his disabled victim to death on a town centre street in a shocking unprovoked attack.

This morning, Tuesday, he was told to serve at least 21 years behind bars by judge Thomas Teague.

Warrington Guardian:

Sentencing, the judge said: “Whatever the personal difficulties he faced, he was a greatly loved father and grandfather.

“Your actions have ruined the lives of a good many people and have taken away a good man who did not deserve the horrific violence that you inflicted on him.

“You carried out this brutal attack on a defenceless man at lunchtime in the sight and presence of many members of the public going about their business in Warrington town centre.

“Mr Mairs was sitting in his wheelchair, chatting and drinking with a small group of people under the railway bridge outside Central Station.

“They were minding their own business, doing nobody any harm.

Warrington Guardian:

“When you caught sight of the group under the bridge, you advanced towards them and picked a quarrel with Mr Mairs – falsely accusing him of supplying your son with illicit drugs.

“You turned your attention to Mr Mairs, whom you punched in the head before deploying your undoubted skills as a practitioner of martial arts to deliver at least two powerful kicks to his head and face as he sat upright in his wheelchair.

“You tipped him backwards out of the wheelchair, flinging it aside and out of his reach.

“By that stage, he was probably already unconscious – but you repeatedly kicked and stamped on his head as he lay motionless on the ground.

“You persisted even after a member of the public bravely intervened by trying to interpose himself between you and your otherwise helpless victim.

“Following your arrest, far from displaying remorse, you boasted of what you had done.

“There was not a word of truth in what you said about your victim.

“It was just a threadbare cloak for your prejudice against those unfortunate people, of whom Mr Mairs was one, who liked to congregate under the bridge outside Central Station and who are often homeless or dependent on alcohol or other substances."


Sharples smirked as he was led down to the cells, while members of Mr Mairs' family in the public gallery shouted 'not smirking now' and 'see you later mate' at the defendant.

Recap: Murderer jailed for 21 years for kicking granddad to death in street

A trial at Liverpool Crown Court heard during six days of evidence earlier this month that the 38-year-old defendant spent the morning of Sunday, October 6 2019, downing pints of lager and sambuca shots in the Looking Glass and Hop Pole pubs.

At around 12.15pm, he angrily confronted his victim– who was drinking with friends under the railway bridge on Winwick Street, near to Central Station.

Sharples attacked three of the group, with the martial arts enthusiast landing a sickening karate kick – which was described by witnesses as being ‘like something out of a film’ – on Mr Mairs.

Warrington Guardian:

He was ‘barely conscious’ when his attacker continued to kick him in the face and stamp on his head and tipped him out of his wheelchair.

Mr Mairs was rushed to Warrington Hospital and placed into an induced coma, but he died aged 53 as a result of his injuries just over three weeks later on October 28 2019.

READ MORE: From a boozy breakfast to a brutal murder - The tragic events which led to death

The first anniversary of his death falls tomorrow, Wednesday.

After the assault, Sharples made baseless accusations that the granddad had sold spice or heroin to his son.

He told police officers that he was ‘glad he did it and would do it again’.

Sharples was unanimously found guilty of murder by a jury after 10 hours of deliberations, having admitted previously manslaughter.

READ MORE: Inside the police investigation into Michael Mairs’ murder

A victim personal statement read out to the court on behalf of Mr Mairs' daughter said: "No words can describe how I feel, my whole world has changed.

"One of the worst things is how my dad was killed, he was a vulnerable man in a wheelchair and he would have been unable to defend himself.

Warrington Guardian:

"He did not deserve this - I just hope he knew that he was loved unconditionally.

"Sharples' actions have affected my whole life in every way.

"Not a single day passes where I don't think about what happened - I have lost everything.

"My daughter will never know her grandfather properly, and I will need to explain to my daughter how he died.

"The trauma of this past year has changed me and will leave a permanent scar.

"I hope Daniel Sharples knows he ruined many lives that day - he took away the life of a good man."

Judge Teague also commended the actions of a member of the public who attempted to intervene during the attack.