TWO police officers called out to Village Hotel in Centre Park said they ‘feared for their safety’ because of the actions of a dangerous driver.

William MacDonald, of Silkstone Crescent in Runcorn, was brought before Warrington Magistrates’ Court on Friday in relation to an incident on August 16.

The court heard how the 23-year-old damaged a police car by colliding with it before driving at speed and braking harshly while trying to flee.

And after turning the wrong way out of the hotel car park, MacDonald reversed and faced his vehicle towards officers, who were fearful that he was attempting to run them over.

Angela Blackmore, prosecuting, told the court how officers attended the hotel following a call-out at around 4.55am and parked their car in front of a white Audi.

The defendant was out of his car at the time but got behind the wheel and attempted to leave the car park. He hit the police car in the process, causing a small dent and scratch near the wheel arch.

MacDonald drove off at high speed, braking harshly as he tried to turn the car around, and hit a row of temporary bollards.

It was at this point that officers said they feared for their safety, as they believed that he was turning the car around to hit them, but this was not the case as the defendant fled the scene.

MacDonald was arrested the next day and taken to the police station, where he confirmed he was driving but said that he did not see the police car and told officers how he suffers from ‘black-outs’ when angry.

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Magistrates' Court

Ms Blackmore also spoke of how MacDonald was previously of good character, with a sole conviction for a public order offence in 2015.

Ian Waites, defending, offered mitigation in the form of his client’s prompt guilty plea in his first appearance in court last month and his full co-operation with police after his arrest.

He told the court how MacDonald was reversing as he went the wrong way, and was at no point trying to harm police.

The defendant visited the hotel for the night with his girlfriend, but an argument between them lead to a deterioration of his mental health, of which he has a history of depression and anxiety.

Despite this, Mr Waites informed magistrates of his client’s good work history in the construction industry and how highly his employer speaks of him due to his good attitude.

Before sentencing, chair magistrate Lynn Colter-Howard said: “I do not need to tell you how serious this offence is.

“Things could have been different, and I will not tolerate putting police in jeopardy by driving in that manner.”

MacDonald was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison suspended for 12 months, ordered to complete 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days and told he must pay £213 in court costs.

He was also disqualified from driving for 12 months and must take an extended retest before driving again.