CCTV footage released by police shows the shocking moment a murderer pulled his disabled victim from his wheelchair during a ‘brutal’ killing.

Daniel Sharples, of Grisedale Avenue in Orford, was today convicted of murdering Michael Mairs by a jury at Liverpool Crown Court after a nine-day trial.

The martial arts enthusiast launched a horrific unprovoked attack on the granddad underneath the railway bridge on Winwick Street in the town centre, near to Central Station, shortly after midday on Sunday, October 6 2019.

Cheshire Police have now released CCTV stills of the incident, showing Sharples aggressively pointing in Mr Mairs’ face, standing over him after tipping his wheelchair over and then pulling the chair from underneath him as he lay barely conscious.

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Guardian:

Another image shows him attempting to climb over a wall in the beer garden of the King’s Head pub in a bid to evade officers.

Warrington Guardian:

A video of Sharples kickboxing in the gym meanwhile shows the brute force he was able to deliver during his assault.

Detective inspector Helen Clegg said: “This was a totally unprovoked attack on a vulnerable man who had no way of defending himself.

“On the day of the incident, Michael was simply socialising with his friends and minding his own business.

“Sharples is a strong and powerful man and used his kickboxing experience to launch a vicious and sustained attack on Michael as he sat helpless in his wheelchair.

“He was totally focused on inflicting serious harm.

Warrington Guardian:

Sharples being arrested

“Throughout the investigation Sharples has never shown any remorse.

“Instead he attempted to place the blame on Michael, claiming that he had sold drugs to his son – claims that were totally unsubstantiated.

“He went on to claim that he had taken Valium prior to the attack and was unable to control himself and had no recollection of what happened.

“Thankfully, the jury have seen through his lies and he is now facing the consequences of his actions.”

DI Clegg also thanked members of the public who came to Mr Mairs’ aid following the attack.

Warrington Guardian:

She added: “I would like to thank all of the members of the public who helped Michael on the day, along with those who have come forward with information.

“Their evidence was compelling and a driving force behind the conviction of this man for Michael’s murder.

“I’d also like to acknowledge the courage that Michael’s children have shown throughout this case.

“I hope the conviction of Sharples will help them and all those who knew him to continue to come to terms with what happened and move forward with their lives.”

Meanwhile, Cheshire police and crime commissioner David Keane has welcomed Sharples’ conviction.

He said: “This crime shocked the local community and deeply saddened all those who knew Michael.

“I would like to thank all of the officers involved in the investigation who have helped to get justice for Michael’s family and friends.

“My thoughts are with them at this difficult time – I hope this conviction gives them some form of comfort.”

Senior crown prosecutor Adam Till, from the Crown Prosecution Service Mersey Cheshire, added: "Daniel Sharples deployed his undoubted prowess and skill in martial arts to launch  an unprovoked and vicious attack on a totally defenceless and vulnerable individual.

"Sharples admitted he had killed Mr Mairs but said he didn’t mean to.

"The Crown Prosecution Service refused to accept his plea to manslaughter - that clearly didn’t cover the criminality of  what happened on that day.

"Repeated kicks to the head of a vulnerable victim speak for themselves as to the defendant’s intention.

"It is also no defence to the charge of murder to say ‘sorry I was drunk and that’s why I did it’.

"Nobody forced Sharples to get drunk or to take tablets, he did it to himself.

"It may well be that drink and drugs fuelled his determination to attack Michael Mairs, but the evidence demonstrates that he knew what he was doing and was fit and able to do it.

"The amnesia he claimed to have developed after the attack was no more than a ploy, and a desperate one at that.

"The Crown Prosecution Service said that the evidence clearly demonstrated a man who, for whatever reason, deliberately and wilfully subjected a highly vulnerable man to a devastating attack and, at the very least, he intended to cause him really serious harm. 

"That makes him guilty of murder - the jury have agreed with us.

"We hope the end of this tragic case gives the family of Michael Mairs some closure - our thoughts remain with them at this very difficult time."