AFTER watching his Warrington Wolves side let a game they were in control of slip away for the second week running, Steve Price admits their execution is “letting them down at big moments.”

The Wire had enough chances to post more than the 14 points they managed against Wigan Warriors, with the first half in particular spent largely attacking the Wigan line.

However, they could not manage more than two tries and much like last weekend’s Challenge Cup semi-final loss to Salford Red Devils, their profligacy proved costly as Liam Farrell’s late try allowed Wigan to record an 18-14 victory.

Warrington Guardian:

A disappointed Warrington side after Liam Farrell's try. Picture by

Price believes his side “dominated large parts” of the contest at Headingley but bemoaned a poor start to the second half which allowed Zak Hardaker to score and also the right-edge defence for Farrell’s winner.

“We can’t lose sight of the good things we’re doing but we need to tidy up things that are letting us down at big moments,” Price said.

“I’m extremely proud of the effort and intent by the boys.

“We got off to a really good start but we just couldn’t execute two or three tries in that first half.

Warrington Guardian:

Chris Hill scores in the first half. Picture by

“In the second half we started off slow and Wigan scored a quick try, which was disappointing.

“We had some hard-nosed rugby throughout the second half but I’m disappointed with the Zak Hardaker line break and the winning try over on our right edge.

“I felt like we dominated large parts of that game. It was certainly a game we put ourselves in a position to win.

“We’re just beating ourselves up at times. You could say there’s some lapses of concentration involved.

“We’re putting ourselves in positions to score tries but we’ve got to look at certain aspects of our execution.”

> VOTE: Choose your Wire man of the match

There was a moment of confusion in the second half when The Wire were awarded a penalty.

After much deliberation, with several players appearing to have a say as well as on-field captain Jack Hughes, Wolves kicked for goal and Stefan Ratchford knocked over two points.

However, Price says that was not what they wanted to do.

“The call was to run the ball,” he said.

“I think there was a miscommunication from a player to the referee.

“It wasn’t the captain who said it. That’s down to (referee) Chris Kendall.”

Defeat, plus Catalans Dragons’ win over Hull KR, means Warrington have now dropped out of Super League’s all-important top four with six regular season games remaining.

Among those six are clashes with play-off rivals Leeds, Catalans and St Helens but Price insists the table is not important currently.

> Update on Jake Mamo's injury

“We’re not even looking at the table at the moment,” he said.

“We’re learning some harsh lessons and its important we do learn from it. It’s quite tough at present.

“There was a huge amount of effort and intent but in the last two weeks, the last 10 minutes haven’t been where they need to be.

“The guys are hurting at the moment and I’d be disappointed if they weren’t, but we’re not far away.”