A 30-YEAR-old who hid in bushes and created a fake Facebook profile to stalk his ex-partner has avoided a prison sentence.

Anthony Bourke, of Bagot Avenue, appeared via Skype in Liverpool Crown Court after stalking his former partner, and mother of his child, between February and March.

Michael Stephenson, prosecuting the case, said Bourke first made hostile phone calls and sent text messages to the woman on February 7.

The court heard how the calls included threats to 'burn her house down' and 'smash her face in', while he also claimed to be in hospital with cancer.

The woman reported this to police and Bourke was interviewed on February 12 before being released on police bail.

On February 24, Bourke phoned the woman again, disguising his voice with a scouse accent, which she recognised.

The court was told that in March, Bourke created a fake Facebook profile to stalk the woman, while also trying to offer someone money to tell him where she lived.

Mr Stephenson said that Bourke then tried to get into the block of flats where the woman lived by posing as a pizza delivery man before hiding in the bushes outside.

Bourke was arrested a second time on March 30 and in the interview, he accepted he had made threats, made the phone calls and had set up the Facebook profile.

In a victim personal statement read during the hearing, the woman said as a result of the incident, she no longer feels normal or whole, and won't go outside alone.

Jeremy Rawson, defending Bourke, said his client has no previous convictions and his character references speak highly of him.

He stressed that Bourke is very remorseful and regrets what he has done which was a 'frustration at not seeing his child'.

Mr Rawson added that a 'traumatic and stressful upbringing', although not an excuse or explanation, must have had an effect on his behaviour.

Her Honour Judge Rachel Smith passed an 18-month sentence suspended for 18 months.

Bourke must also complete 10 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days and attend the Building Better Relationships programme.

He is also subject to a five-year restraining order, as well as an electronically monitored curfew for one month.