WITH the current Covid-19 ban on angling I am continuing to dredge my archive reports.

Terry Coulson joined Warrington Anglers in 2008 and on Wednesday 29th August that year sent me the following report: “On Monday I fished Rixton clay pits after pike but unfortunately caught nothing, however, I then moved on to Moore Quarry and caught 3 small pike the biggest 4lb. I only use lures as I like stalking tactics, I also had 2 reasonable perch.

“On Wednesday I decided to fish the river Ribble at Hurst Green, on arriving at the river I met up with two other members who directed me to a pool downstream stating, if you are after pike, that’s where they are supposed to be.

“When I reached the spot, I put on my biggest lure and cast it into the pool, no luck on that cast. However, on my second cast I thought I had hooked the bottom until my reel started screaming and a massive pike started tail walking across the river.

“What a fight, I ended up landing a beauty of 26lb 4oz beating my previous best of 15lb 4oz.”

Ian Broadhurst enjoyed a visit to Wide Hole on Sunday 6th July 2008 where he fished a small groundbait feeder and single maggot and was catching roach to 8oz from the off.

He decided to have his butties and drew in his rod but first put in four hefty balls of groundbait laced with maggots before eating.

Fifteen minutes later he cast in again and almost immediately his tip shot round but it obviously wasn’t a roach this time and soon a bream about two pounds lay in his landing followed by eleven others.

Adam Bohen fished Arley on the Worthington Lakes complex on Friday 18th September 2009 and had a fantastic day with around 40 bream and skimmer bream all between 2 to 4lb plus some perch and small roach.

All were caught on feeder with double maggot or chopped worm on the hook. Despite the lake looking like pea soup in the morning due to the algae.

With the Mersey being in flood on Sunday 26th October 2008 the match was transferred at the last minute to Appleton Reservoir where the anglers fished from the wall. Martin Griffiths was the easy winner with a weight of 25-6-0 of roach taken on the whip at 6 metres to hand loose-feeding maggot. Neil Buist took second place fishing a small groundbait feeder and maggot for 18-5-0. Thirteen anglers fished with an average catch of over 14lbs.

WAA Headquarters at 52, Parker Street remains closed on Friday evenings until further notice. If you need any further information please give me a call or email as below.

Due to our fishery closures any of your notable past catches or amusing angling stories are welcome. They will hopefully surprise or entertain fellow members whilst the country is in lock-down. Email frank@warrington-anglers.org.uk or give me a ring on 01928 716238.