PUPILS from Beamont Collegiate Academy are working alongside Warrington Wolves to get a taste of how to be a sports reporter.

The rugby club is leading a Supporter to Reporter programme, inspiring a group of year 10 students by giving them the chance to interview players and write match reports.

The lucky participants visit the Halliwell Jones Stadium every week to learn vital writing skills and the key attributes needed to make it in the field.

Warrington Wolves communications manager, Rachel Arnett, said: "This is a fantastic initiative as it gives the pupils a taste of the world of work and a possible vocation after education.

Warrington Guardian:

"We have worked closely with the academy to ensure that the programme is wide-ranging to keep sparking the pupils’ imaginations, giving them as much first-hand examples as we can.

"Those taking part have responded really well in the first few weeks and they will hopefully take a lot of valuable learning experiences from the programme."

Pupils recently attended the Betfred Super League home opener against St Helens and were given access to the club's press room.

They also had the chance to interview Wolves players and try their hand at writing for social media.

Danny Walker, a 20-year-old Wolves player and former Beamont pupil, sat down with the youngsters to answer questions about his experiences on the team.

He said: "I've been really impressed.

"Some of their questions have really made me think.

"If there had been opportunity like this for me, I would have liked to have been in their shoes."

Warrington Guardian:

Rachael Russell, of Beamont Collegiate Academy, said the project is helping to link the pupil's hobbies and interests with academic skills.

She explained: "This project hopes to capitalise on the love the community has for Warrington Wolves Rugby Club and raise aspirations for students to develop their love of sport, or indeed love of writing, into the world of sports journalism."

Lateisha Greenaway, a pupil taking part in the scheme, added: "I’m really enjoying all these new experiences.

"I wasn’t a massive rugby fan but I loved writing and now I’ve developed a real passion for rugby too."

Match report, Warrington Wolves vs St Helens, written by students James Tarpey and Jay-Jay Catterall:

What a night, an outstanding effort from Warrington against St Helens in the clash of the champions. 

To add to the excitement, there was home league debuts for Matty Ashton and Anthony Gelling.

Warrington Guardian:

The Wire went into the game without co- captains Jack Hughes and Chris Hill and this gave Matt Davis a seat on the bench and a start for Joe Philbin.

This also gave Stefan Ratchford the Captaincy.

On the other hand, St Helens came into the game without experienced hooker James Roby, winger Tommy Makinson, Fullback Lachlan Coote and prop Kyle Amor.

In addition, due to an injury in the warm up, Walmsley had to drop out of the Saints’ squad. 

As a result, Jack Welsby stepped in for Coote, Kevin Naiqama moved to the wing and Matty Costello moved to the centers to where Naiqama normally plays. 

Due to Amor being unavailable, Jack Ashworth moved onto the bench.

The first half had kicked off and the first points came from the boot of Stefan Ratchford kicking a penalty goal in the 18th minute. 

Warrington Guardian:

This gave the wire a 2-0 lead. 

The young Matty Ashton made a break and made it so close and would have scored if it wasn't for a great tackle from Jonny Lomax. 

The first try came 13 minutes later and this was scored by the wires number nine Daryl Clark. 

The Wire was then 6-0 up however it could have been 8-0 but Ratchford missed the conversion. 

After the kick off to resume the game again, Ben Murdoch-Masila ran straight at Mark Percival which caused Percival to pick up an injury. 

To add to the excellent first half, the wires scored another try four minutes later. 

This was scored by Tommy Lineham, however it did prove to be a controversial one due to events that had occurred earlier in the play. 

Warrington Guardian:

Wire closed the first half with a drop goal from Blake Austin in the 39th minute to put wire 13-0 up just before the break.

The second half came along and the wire was as dominant as they ended the first half, props charging forward and getting quick play the balls so Daryl Clark can work his magic.

It was a dogged performance by the Wire in the second half, and they reaped the rewards after a great show of hands to put Josh Charnley in the corner in the 53rd minute to put Wire 17-0 up and putting more pressure on St Helens with more than half-an-hour to play. 

Wire just kept knocking on the door for the rest of the half but a now solid St Helens defence denied Wire many time.

In a tackle, Matty Lees decided to get scrappy with Mike Cooper pulling his strapping, of which caused the Wire to react this scuffle and led to Wire having a penalty which Wire decided to take a penalty kick which Ratchford converted with ease which took the scores to 19-0. 

Warrington Guardian:

The rest of the half was comfortable until Saints crossed the white wash which went to the video ref which was later disallowed for held up. 

This led to wire slowing down the play and Austin would put little grubbers into touch just to run the clock down which worked and this is how they finished the game with clever tactics to end the game, Matty Ashton with a great performance to get Wire's man of the match and a even better performance by Daryl Clark to get sky’s man of the match.