A KNIFEMAN who was caught carrying a blade in a town centre nightclub has been spared jail.

Mccawley Halliwell armed himself with a knife before going on a night out at Voodoo bar on Friars Gate.

Liverpool Crown Court heard this week that staff in the Friars Gate nightspot received a tip-off that the 24-year-old had a weapon in his possession at around 2.45am on Sunday, October 6.

Bouncers led Halliwell into the backroom, where he admitted having the three-inch knife in his pocket.

The blade was seized, and he was punched twice in the face by one of the doormen and knocked to the floor.

CCTV footage of the altercation was played to the court, with the blows described as being ‘unwarranted’.

Family members who were sat in the public gallery were heard to say ‘oh my god’ and ‘disgusting’ as they viewed the video.

No charges have been brought against any members of staff at Voodoo in relation to the incident.

Halliwell, who has 20 previous convictions for 31 offences, told police that he was carrying the weapon for his own protection as he had previously ‘got jumped by six people’.

He admitted possession of a bladed article in a public place during an earlier court hearing.

On Monday, January 27, recorder Ahmed Nadim handed the St Helens man, who suffers from learning disabilities, a six-month imprisonment suspended for a year.

Sentencing, he said: “You were in a bar when you were challenged by security staff, and their enquiries resulted in the discovery of a knife upon you.

“That knife you say you carried for the purposes of self-defence by reason of your past experiences.

“In my judgement, the very fact that you took the knife for that purpose serves to elevate the risk that you would use the knife.

“The recording shows that the security staff who seized the knife from you engaged in some violence against you – they delivered two powerful blows, which appeared to be unnecessary.

“Exceptionally, in this case I’m going to suspend the sentence of imprisonment.

“Do not let me down, and do not let yourself down.

“It’s my sincere hope that you will not come before a court again.”

Recorder Nadim also ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the knife, imposed a 35-day rehabilitation activity requirement and told Halliwell to pay a victim surcharge.