A MAN was left unconscious for 20 minutes after being attacked in a town centre nightclub.

Callum Leslie was jailed for 10 months last week after the unprovoked assault on two innocent men in Voodoo bar.

The 23-year-old was in the Friars Gate night spot when one of the victims accidentally knocked his drink out of his hand.

Leslie, from Runcorn, threw punches at him and his friend – knocking the pair to the ground.

One of the two 29-year-old men was kicked unconscious as he lay injured on the dancefloor, while the other was punched several more times after he had fallen.

After Leslie had left, security staff ejected the second victim.

The defendant then spotted him again on Academy Way and punched him in the head from behind.

He was left unconscious for 20 minutes after his head hit the pavement when he fell to the floor, with an unknown Good Samaritan coming to the victim’s aid – clearing his airways and putting him in the recovery position.

This man, from Warrington, was rushed to hospital and still requires ongoing treatment while the second victim, from Wigan, suffered minor injuries to his face and ribs.

Leslie handed himself in at Runcorn Police Station later that day after officers released CCTV footage in a bid to trace the attacker.

Warrington Guardian:

CCTV footage of Leslie on the night of the attack

He admitted three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm at Liverpool Crown Court and was imprisoned on Thursday, January 16.

Inspector Neil Drum said: “The victims had been enjoying a night out when Callum Leslie subjected them to vicious assaults – the assaults he carried out in front of revellers were unprovoked.

“One of the victims accidentally knocked his drink out of his hand on a busy dancefloor, but instead of accepting an apology Leslie punched the man and the man’s friend and then assaulted them whilst they were on the floor.

“A few minutes later he assaulted the man’s friend again, walking up to him outside the club and punching him from behind – the victim’s head struck the pavement as he fell to the floor, and he was unconscious for a considerable period of time.

“The incident has left him with ongoing medical problems, but the consequences of Leslie’s actions could have been even worse.

“This kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable, and I am glad that Leslie is now behind bars facing the consequences of his actions – I hope that the culmination of this case gives the victims some closure and enables them to move forward with their lives.

“I also hope that this case deters others from committing similar offences, and I would like to thank the member of the public who administered first aid to the victim after he had been knocked unconscious outside the nightclub.”

Leslie was also told to pay a £122 victim surcharge.