IF you tend to leave your Christmas lights on while you're asleep at night, a new video from Cheshire Fire will certainly make you think twice. 

In less than a minute, the clip shows flames quickly spreading up the Christmas tree before engulfing the whole living room. 

The footage has been shared as reminder to residents to always turn their Christmas lights off AND unplug them before they go to bed. 

Cheshire Fire also advises people to:

  • Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings and don't leave them burning unattended.
  • Don't attach decorations to lights or heaters as they burn easily
  • Don’t overload plug sockets
  • Check on elderly relatives and neighbours - make sure they are fire safe.