A MAN has been handed a life sentence after murdering his girlfriend in a frenzied knife attack.

Adam Brettle, 24, described as a "controlling and violent" man, today pleaded guilty to the murder of Samantha Gosney at her flat on Swan Avenue, Derbyshire Hill.

A judge at Liverpool Crown Court ruled he must serve a minimum sentence of 19 years in prison.

Samantha, a 29-year-old mother-of-two, was stabbed 21 times during the attack on Saturday, November 24, 2018.

Brettle, from Warrington, went on the run following the murder, sparking a manhunt.

Warrington Guardian:

Samantha Gosney was stabbed to death

Brettle was traced to St Asaph in North Wales where he was arrested on the evening of Monday, November 26.

During the “savage” attack, Samantha suffered wounds to the neck, chest and back, with 15 of them capable of being fatal.

Brettle had been in a relationship with Smantha for 18 months before her death and was described as someone who spent money on cannabis daily.

The court heard how the "catalyst" to Samantha's murder was her attending her grandmother's funeral two days previously against Brettle's wishes.

Prosecuting, Anne Whyte QC, said: "The funeral was obviously a trigger point.

"She did go to the funeral, which took place on Thursday, November 22 and to the gathering afterwards at the Eagle Sports Social Club".

It was said Brettle "contacted her more than once" while she was at the funeral and that Samantha told another mourner that he kept ringing her and "that he would go mad because he just wanted her to go home.

"As she said this, she was crying and appeared very unhappy."

One of Samantha's neighbours told police Brettle had called her that evening and was "very out of sorts and had asked to use her phone to call for a taxi".

Brettle was described as "pacing up and down" saying he "f****** hated" Samantha and how "she could be talking to all these men, she won't answer her f****** phone".

When Samantha returned home that evening, Brettle assaulted her and she later texted her cousin saying: "He's t*****d me, I got black eyes. Help me please."

The court was told how on the morning of Saturday, November 24 Samantha was stabbed while she was on the phone to police after calling 999.

In the call she "gave her address and indicated that she wanted Adam Brettle to leave. Brettle's voice could be heard in the background. Ms Gosney then emitted a terrible scream and told the call handler that he had a knife and had stabbed her.

The prosecution added: "It is, quite simply, an horrific and deeply distressing audio recording to listen to".

When police arrived at the house, she was found "lying naked in a massive pool of blood".     

A paramedic described the attack as "pure butchery".

Two knives were found in the bedroom, one "akin to a butter knife" and, by the wardrobe, a kitchen knife, of which "there was no doubt was the weapon used to kill Samantha".

The court was told how after the brutal murder, Brettle was seen leaving the property just three minutes after Samantha's 999 call. 

He texted his mother, saying; "mum u need to ring me now Im going to jail".

He encountered a 15-year-old and said he needed £500 and a hotel and "even suggested committing a quick robbery in order to get some cash" and took a bottle of water using it to swill his hands to wash blood off them.

READ > Heartbroken mum describes day her 'world fell apart' as killer is jailed for life

He later said to his dad on the phone: "Ive done something but not telling you until you give me some money" telling him he was at the Toby Carvery at Carr Mill.

READ > Who to contact if you are in an abusive relationship

His grandmother arrived by car and gave him £150 which was "nothing unusual because he was always asking for cash".

Brettle travelled to Wigan town centre later that day and stayed out drinking until the following day.

He travelled to North Wales by means unknown and police were called to an attempted theft of a mobile phone at a Wetherspoons in Rhyl on the evening of Monday, November 26. 

Brettle was arrested by officers, initially giving a false name before police established his identity.

Passing sentence, judge Neil Flewitt said: “Although mercifully Samantha Gosney would have died within minutes, her final moments of life must have been terrifying as she struggled helplessly to defend herself from such a brutal attack.

“After assaulting Samantha you did nothing to help but went in search of money, alcohol and drugs. Your behaviour after the event demonstrates a callous disregard for Samantha Gosney and a selfish concern for your own welfare.

“Your behaviour after the event leaving her to die alone and without comfort demonstrates a complete lack of remorse."

The judge added added that the lives of Samantha’s family “have been damaged irreparably by their loss by the savage manner you took from them something they loved very much.

“You attacked a vulnerable and defenceless woman in her own home and you have previously used violence against Samantha.” 

Detective Sergeant Lisa Milligan said: “This was a shocking and heart-breaking incident, in which a young mother has had her life taken away by an act of brutal violence, carried out by Adam Brettle.

"His actions have also left two young boys to grow up without a mother.

“Our investigations found Brettle to be a violent, jealous and controlling man who consistently refused to take responsibility for his actions that night.

“He only chose to admit his guilt at the last possible opportunity, dragging out the suffering of Samantha’s loved ones in the process.

“I would like to thank Samantha’s family for the immense courage they have shown throughout this ordeal and also the professionalism of the officers involved in this investigation.

Warrington Guardian:

Tributes were left at the scene

Warrington Guardian:

“Although nothing could ever bring Samantha back, we hope the sentence handed down by the judge gives her family some kind of closure, and ensure Brettle will be off the streets – where he belongs - for a significant length of time.”

Detective Chief Inspector John Williams urged people to come forward if they are suffering domestic abuse.

He said: “I want to reassure members of the public that Merseyside Police is committed to tackling domestic abuse in all its forms and we have dedicated and specially trained officers who respond to incidents of domestic abuse, investigate incidents and provide support to those in need.

“Domestic abuse can happen to anyone at any time regardless of gender, age and sexuality.

"It is important for people to recognise when it is happening to them and that confidential support and advice is available to those that need it.

“We also appeal to anyone who is aware or suspects that a friend, family member or neighbour is the victim of domestic abuse to contact police at the earliest opportunity.

“Abuse is abuse, whether it happens behind closed doors or in public, and we should all do what we can to protect victims.

“Some people might think it is none of their business just because the victim and offender know each other – but it is everyone’s business to help people in need, and one phone call to police could well save a life.” 

For more information about how to report domestic violence or to seek specialist support call the confidential 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247