POLICE are investigating a number of assaults following Tommy Robinson’s visit to Warrington.

The English Defence League founder, who is running as an independent in the north west in the upcoming European Parliament elections, was struck with a milkshake on Bridge Street during his trip to the town on Thursday, May 2.

Footage then appeared to show 36-year-old Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, responding by throwing an other punches.

Further videos posted on social media showed other large scale outbreaks of disorder in the area around Market Gate.

And Cheshire Police have now confirmed that it is investigating several alleged assaults in the Bridge Street area between 3pm and 6pm on the day in question.

The force said two people suffered injuries and were taken to hospital, but both have since been discharged.

No arrests have yet been made.

Chief inspector Simon Meegan said: "We are aware there has been a lot of talk, videos and speculation about what happened on social media, but we need to hear from people who were there at the time and witnessed what happened.

"In particular, we want to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time and recorded any of the incidents on their mobile phone.

"This is a complex investigation which involves a large number of people, and we are treating this matter seriously and asking for the public's help in tracing those responsible.

"Should anyone else who was in the area at the time feel that they were a victim of crime, please contact us on 101.

"We will not tolerate disorder or any level of violence in Warrington whatever the motivation, and I would like to thank members of the public who have already provided information to assist the police investigation."

Milkshake thrower Danyal Mahmud said he was working in the town centre and was on his way home when he was approached by far-right activists.

The 23-year-old added: “I was in Warrington for a meeting and afterwards was on my way home, I had to pass this group of people.

“Tommy Robinson just kept coming to me and talking to me, and I kept moving location – I was the only Asian guy there.

“I said to him, ‘I do not wish to speak to you on or off camera’ - I just got annoyed with him and a milkshake slipped out of my hand.

READ > How the Cullen brothers are linked to grenade outside family home

“I had no intention of doing anything or reacting in any way, but he kept talking – I feel a bit shaken up and shocked to be honest.”