A WOMAN who was chased at speed by police for driving without insurance and then gave false details after leaping out of the moving car will not go to jail.

Soukeyna Niang appeared at Liverpool Crown Court last Thursday, April 18, for sentencing – the day she was supposed to get married.

Christopher Hopkins, prosecuting, said: "On December 7 last year, PC Baxendale was on duty in a marked police car in full uniform.

"At around 10.30am, the car was parked on Kingsway North when the ANPR system alerted the officer to a black Nissan Note heading towards the town centre on Manchester Road without insurance, road tax or a valid MOT.

"The officer pursued the car along Manchester Road which stopped at the junction with Padgate Lane."

The court was told how Niang then reversed the car towards the police officer and pulled into the left hand lane where another car had to stop suddenly to avoid the Nissan.

She then undertook a number of vehicles along Padgate Lane and rode into oncoming traffic.

Hopkins said: "The defendant overtook several vehicles along Padgate Lane, narrowly avoiding oncoming traffic before speeding along Marsh House Lane and Gorsey lane at around 40 to 50 miles per hour.

"She went at speed over traffic calming measures before driving across the roundabout on Norris Street at 55 miles per hour without giving way and drove onto Orford Avenue.

"She appeared to turn left on Duncan Street and mount the pavement at around 40 miles per hour."

When she got onto Synge Street, Niang opened the door while the car was still moving causing it to hit a parked car before rolling back towards the police car.

She fell to the ground and ran away but the police officer caught up with her.

Niang, from Manchester then gave different names to the officer and changed the spelling a number of times before telling police she 'panicked because she had no insurance'.

She admitted dangerous driving, driving without insurance and obstructing a police officer.

Niang has two previous convictions.

Kate Morely, defending, said: "This was an instance where the defendant panicked because she was driving with no insurance.

"Of course she should not have been driving in the first place but the panic set in.

"Thankfully there were no injuries.

"She covered a short distance and there were no traces of drugs or alcohol in her system.

"Niang has been in the country for nine years and has personal problems – she suffered domestic violence in a previous relationship.

"She has moved on and today was supposed to be her wedding day."

READ > The £550k house that would see you live in Walton Gardens

Morely argued that the defendant would be the 'ideal candidate' to carry out unpaid work since she works part time and can 'think about her decisions and choices in the future'.

Recorder Simon Hilton said: "You drove at speed and dangerously through residential areas in Warrington.

"You were very lucky that no one was hurt as there is a school in the area you drove through."

He handed Niang a four month sentence suspended for 12 months in addition to a 20-day rehabilitation activity and 40 hours unpaid work.

She will also lose her licence for one year.