EMERGENCY services have been called to a suspected flat fire in Warrington town centre.

Fire crews were called at 10.15am today, Monday, to the property on Wilson Patten Street following reports of smoke coming from a flat.

On arrival all persons were accounted for.

Two firefighters entered the first floor flat and extinguished a small fire using a hose.

Fire crews were in attendance for around 40 minutes.

The fire is believed to have been started by a lit cigarette that had been left unattended.

Ambulance and police also attended.

READ > Parents reminded of car seat laws after mum spotted with child on her knee

The road was closed at the junction with Bridge Foot and Bank Quay Station until 10.45am.