A PET dog has had a lucky escape after swallowing a sock that was bigger than her.

Shih Tzu Maggie-May was rushed to Beech House Veterinary Centre after wolfing down the size 12 sock, which was longer than her own body.

Warrington Guardian:

Owner Jessica Tolley, from Woolston, said: "We were at home when Maggie-May was chewing and playing with a sock, when all of a sudden she bolted off the chair and started making a funny noise.

"I realised there was a good chance she had swallowed it, but my partner Ross and I could hardly believe it and we got up and started trying to find it.

"Although Maggie-May seemed fine the sock was nowhere to be seen after we searched high and low, so we took her to the vets.

"All the way there, she was acting as if there was nothing wrong, and I was convinced there was no way a dog her size could swallow a sock so big."

But 22-month-old Maggie-May had indeed eaten the sock, and was given an injection to make her sick before vet Naomi Roberts managed to pull the item of clothing through the pooch’s mouth.

Warrington Guardian:

Maggie-May with owners Jessica and Ross and vet Naomi

Thirty-three-year-old primary school teacher Jessica, who recently welcomed firstborn Alannah into the world, added: "When we got her to the vets, she was examined and given an injection to make her be sick.

"We left her there to be looked after and we had only got 10 minutes down the road when we received a call to say they had got the sock out.

"On the way home from the vets, Maggie-May was sat in the car like she'd been out for an adventure.

Warrington Guardian:

"We are now very careful not to let her have socks any more, but she is automatically drawn to the washing basket and always goes to get one out so we have to be very vigilant.

"I never thought she would be able to swallow one so big.

"But she must have sucked and chewed it so much that it slid easily down her throat.

"I have just had my first baby, so I'm going to have to be extra careful she doesn't get her paws on any little socks."

Warrington Guardian: