FIREFIGHTERS were called to a property in Culcheth last night, Tuesday following reports of a garage fire.

At around 5.40pm, one fire engine attended the scene on Withington Avenue.

The fire was caused by a faulty electric space heater.

Wearing two breathing apparatus, crews used a hose to put out the fire.

The main door of the garage was opened in order for it to be ventilated.

Firefighters then removed the plasterboard to check the fire had not spread to a utility room next door.

A ventilation fan was also used to ensure smoke was cleared.

Crews were in attendance for one hour.