AN overloaded electrical extension cable caused a fire at a Birchwood home this morning, Thursday.

Firefighters were called to the property on Colebrook Close in Birchwood shortly after midnight.

The fire involving a central heating boiler in a garage and crews extinguished the fire using a hose.

Crews from two fire stations were at the scene for an hour.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue tweeted a warning to the public about the dangers of overloading extension cables.

If you are unsure whether a socket is overloaded try the online tool for electrical fire safety here.