DO you have a friend or relative with Alzheimer's or dementia and often worry that they may go missing?

Many people fear their loved one could go for a walk and end up getting lost and go missing.

To help families, a number of forces across the country have now adopted an national initiative called the Herbert Protocol.

Named after George Herbert, a war veteran of the Normandy landings who lived with dementia, the scheme is not intended to replace existing safeguarding and security measures but can speed up a search if required.

A Cheshire Police spokesman added: "We appreciate caring for people with dementia is challenging - and that planning ahead and keeping safe is really important.

"While people living with dementia may only walk about into the garden or street and return a short time later, some people can get lost and go missing.

"This can lead to feelings of confusion, fear and vulnerability for individuals and their families, particularly at night time or during times of extreme weather.

"The Herbert Protocol is here to help provide you with reassurance and help you keep friends and relatives safe."

What is the Herbert Protocol?

The Herbert Protocol is a form which is kept at home, or in a safe place, with important information about a vulnerable person.

Should they go missing, information is easily on hand about routines, medical requirements and favourite places to visit and can be handed over to the police giving emergency services the best possible information during a stressful time.

Where do I find the form?

You can download the form from the Cheshire Police website or by clicking here.

Advice from officers is to give an overview rather than in-depth detail.

A spokesman added: "While we need to know some key information, we don’t need to know everything.

"If you are writing the information by hand, please try to make sure that it is easily readable for someone perhaps unfamiliar with your handwriting."

Keep the information in a safe place so you can easily hand it over if your friend or relative ever goes missing.

What should I do if I know someone with dementia has gone missing?

Call 999.

A police officer will attend your address or care home and collect The Herbert Protocol Vulnerable Adult Missing Persons Profile from you, or if the form is electronic, the call handler will provide you with an e-mail address to send it to the police.

A spokesman added: "The information contained will be of great use when coordinating the search for the person."