THE last surviving player from Warrington Wolves’ most recent title-winning team has died.

Gerry Lowe featured in the front row as The Wire were crowned champions with victory over Oldham at Manchester City’s former Maine Road ground on May 14, 1955.

The retired metallurgist played a significant role in the previous season’s double-winning campaign – the only occasion The Wire have managed this feat - as well as the 1950 Challenge Cup Final success, making him the most decorated Warrington-born primrose and blue player to date.

He died, aged 90, in Woodend Nursing home in Altrincham on Friday.

His funeral will take place at St Joseph's RC Church, Hope Road, Sale, ME33 3BF, on Thursday, March 22, at noon.

Lowe, who was born in Padgate and started playing rugby at Wade Deacon High School in Widnes, also represented Warrington Rugby Union Club and Keighley at club level and made four appearances for Lancashire, including one against the 1955 Kiwis at Wilderspool.

It was from Warrington RUFC that Lowe joined The Wire and within a month of making his debut against Widnes he was lining up against them again in the 19-0 Challenge Cup Final win at Wembley 68 years ago.

Lowe previously told the Guardian: "It was good fortune that first got me playing for Warrington.

"A number of players went to Australia for the Great Britain tour in 1950 and in those days, they had to go before the cup final to get there in time.

"So I was called in to play in a number of games before the final - and the final itself.

"They were great days. We would go down to the final on a train - it was a huge occasion, there were so many people there."

A quick play-the-ball from the 22-year-old, who featured in the second row for a small number of his opening Wire games, led to Harry Bath crossing for the opening try.

Lowe, who had been on the short list for the Lance Todd Trophy as man of the match, missed Warrington’s celebrations because of heading home to sit a chemistry degree examination.

Over the next six years he became a regular in the Warrington pack, making 129 appearances and scoring 12 tries.

It was a pack that played a significant part in Warrington finishing top of the league on three occasions in the 1950s and winning the Lancashire League in 1950-51, 1953-54, 1954-55 and 1955-56.

Twenty-four appearances were made by Lowe in the Challenge Cup and Championship winning 1953-54 season.

Lowe was in the front row in the prize matches against Halifax, the drawn Challenge Cup Final at Wembley, the replay victory at Odsal in front of a world record crowd and the Championship Final success.

He gave Jim Challinor the pass to score the first try in the replay following a 20-yard burst through the Halifax line.

That great Warrington team of Frodsham, Bevan, Challinor, Stevens (Ryder in the replay), McCormick, Price, Helme, D.Naughton, Wright, Lowe, Bath, Heathwood and Ryan under Ces Mountford is considered Warrington’s finest.

Kim Mountford, Warrington-born son of Lowe's former Wire coach Ces Mountford, is among those to have left a tribute message on social media.

Now living on the Gold Coast in Australia, he said: "A great era. Condolences to the Lowe family and extended family."

When Warrington retained the Championship in 1955, Lowe played in 38 of Warrington’s 40 matches, culminating with the 7-3 Championship Final win over Oldham, in the Maine Road mud.

The following season was one of change at Wilderspool and Lowe made only nine appearances, the last of which was on February 11, 1956, at St Helens, as Warrington were knocked out of the Challenge Cup.

Lowe was transferred to Keighley where he spent three years with Keighley, hardly missing a match as he made 95 appearances and scored five tries.

His last appearance before hanging up his boots was on April 25, 1959.

He worked as a metallurgist at Associated Electrical Industries, Carborundum and finally for Diamond Stylus Company.

After retiring he remained passionate about Rugby League and loved to watch Warrington play.

He showed his pride in having played for Warrington as an active member of the Warrington Players Association.

Lowe attended the 50-year reunion of the Odsal replay in 2004 and was delighted when Warrington took the Challenge Cup to his home in Sale in 2010.

Warrington Wolves have passed their condolences to Lowe’s family.

He leaves his wife Josephine and three children Alexandra, Andrew and Gregory.