A BIRCHWOOD man failed to confirm his details for the sex offenders’ register with the police because he had ‘other things on his mind’.

John Gaunt, of Redshank Close, appeared at Liverpool Crown Court for sentencing last Wednesday after failing to comply with a notification requirement and breaching his suspended sentence order.

On December 8 last year, the 32-year-old was sentenced to 10 months in prison, suspended for two years, for an offence of outraging public decency on March 26.

He was caught performing a sex act in a park where two young girls were playing, after one of the parents of the girls confronted him about his behaviour.

In 2012, Gaunt received a community order for an offence of exposure and following his conviction of exposure in 2014 he was jailed for eight months and ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register.

But he failed to provide his details to the police in December last year, as he was legally required to do, and was subsequently arrested.

Iain Criddle, prosecuting, said: “He was interviewed and admitted the offence.

“He knew he should have registered and did not, he overlooked it.”

Jeremy Rawson, defending, stated that Gaunt had ‘other things on his mind’.

He said: "As far as the matter committed for sentencing is concerned, he admitted that he failed to notify and re-register, as he had to do on an annual basis.

"He said he had other things on his mind.

"The difficulty he had, on the most part, is that he had his windows smashed and his property vandalised.

"He was trying to resolve issues brought about as a result of that activity.

Judge Andrew Menary QC told Gaunt that he had ‘no excuse’ for his actions.

He said: "You have been committed here for sentence for two offences.

"An offence of failing to comply with the notification requirement of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 – a notification requirement imposed on you some time in the past, in particular following conviction in March 2014.

“By reason of that you, as well, were in breach of a suspended sentence order.

“You are required to confirm your details every year but you failed to confirm the details on the anniversary in December.

“It is no excuse that you forgot about them.

“That failure was only a few days after you were convicted for outraging public indecency, you were given a suspended sentence with a number of onerous requirements.”

Gaunt, who appeared via video link, received two months in prison, suspended for two years, for failing to comply with the notification requirement.

His curfew has also been increased by two months for breaching his suspended sentence order.