Huddersfield Giants 14 Warrington Wolves 33

A SPARK and intensity rarely witnessed in Wolves’ previous 120 minutes of Super League action powered Tony Smith’s side to victory in the second half against Huddersfield Giants on Sunday.

They added flair to the scoreboard with 20 points late on at the John Smith’s Stadium, but five unanswered tries after the break produced a deserved win.

The visitors’ pressure forced Huddersfield into six second-half penalties, while Wolves improved on their own error count albeit demonstrating only a marginally better kicking game.

Smith shuffled his backs following defeat to Wigan Warriors, but travelling Wolves fans were left frustrated when they failed to deliver from promising sets early on.

Richie Myler and Stefan Ratchford, at stand off, could not find consistency with the boot or, on several occasions, Matty Russell during his first Warrington start.

Simon Grix went looking for the lively full back but threw a loose pass as Wolves tried to respond to Scott Grix’s opening converted try for Giants.

Danny Brough’s penalty increased Huddersfield’s lead before the returning Rhys Evans could dummy over for his fifth try of the campaign.

But Wolves were 14-4 down at the interval when, true-to-form in the first half, a move broke down. Chris Hill palmed a high Myler kick, Brough collected and fed Jodie Broughton to race home.

If Broughton had not been stopped by a last-ditch Russell tackle immediately after the break things may have played out differently. Instead it was Wolves who drew inspiration.

Moments later Myler scooted over and following 20 minutes of relentless pressure, Ben Westwood hit a gap to level.

With nine minutes remaining Wolves’ onslaught was rewarded with Micky Higham sending Russell between the posts.

A better all-round kicking game could have secured the result earlier, and Chris Bridge took on the marksmanship duties after several Ratchford misses. However, with confidence flowing in the ranks Ratchford was composed enough to convert a crucial drop goal that brought a seven-point cushion.

Myler’s long pass then put Gene Ormsby in wide out and Joel Monaghan’s try completed Wolves’ best performance of the season so far.


First drop goal of Ratchford’s Wolves career and his first start in the half backs this year

First Super League start and first Super League try of Matty Russell’s Wolves career

Rhys Evans and Joel Monaghan are Wolves’ leading try scorers this term, with five each, placing them joint sixth in the Super League charts

Wolves have won their past 10 meetings against Huddersfield Giants

Chris Bridge’s first goal kick attempts this season and he landed three from three

Simon Grix needs one more appearance to reach 200 in his career, having played 168 for Warrington, 29 for Halifax and two for Ireland


Super League Round 7, Sunday, March 30, 2014 

Huddersfield Giants 14 Warrington Wolves 33

Giants: Scott Grix; Jermaine McGilvary, Leroy Cudjoe, Brett Ferres, Jodie Broughton; Danny Brough, Luke Robinson; Eorl Crabtree, Shaun Lunt, Craig Kopczak, Jason Chan, Ukuma Ta’ai, Michael Lawrence. Subs: David Faiumu, Kyle Wood, Antonio Kaufusi, Josh Johnson.

Wolves: Matty Russell; Joel Monaghan, Chris Bridge, Rhys Evans, Gene Ormsby; Stefan Ratchford, Richard Myler; Chris Hill, Micky Higham, Roy Asotasi, Trent Waterhouse, Ben Westwood. Simon Grix. Subs: Michael Monaghan, Glenn Riley, James Laithwaite, Ben Evans.

Scoring: Scott Grix try, 8mins, Brough goal 6-0; Brough penalty, 29mins, 8-0; Rhys Evans try, 35mins, 8-4; Broughton try, 37mins, Brough goal, 14-4; Myler try, 44mins, Ratchford goal, 10-14; Westwood try, 65mins, 14-14; Russell try, 71mins, Bridge goal, 14-20; Ratchford drop goal, 73mins, 14-21; Ormsby try, 75mins, Bridge goal, 14-27; Joel Monaghan try, 78mins, Bridge goal, 14-33.

Referee: James Child

Penalties: Giants 4 Wolves 8

Attendance: 7,068

Top Man: Matty Russell