Hull FC u19 36 Warrington Wolves u19 28

WARRINGTON Wolves’ under 19s fell to their third defeat in four Academy games against a spirited Hull side at Bishop Burton College.

Wolves produced an impressive first half display to open a 12-point lead at the break, but Gary Chambers’ young side crumbled under the pressure of Hull’s revitalised efforts in the second half.

Warrington opened the scoring in the second minute when a lovely pass from scrum half Declan Patton found prop forward Joe Philbin running a great line, with the supporting full back Marcus Elliott on hand to finish the try, Jimmy Rowland converting.

But Hull replied 12 minutes later when a repeat set on the Wolves line was rewarded by second row Alex Starling crossing from close range, stand off Jordan Abdull levelling the scores.

Wolves went back into the lead just before the midway point of the half when great work by Patton saw him step through the defensive line to feed Maneely on his way to the line, before Philbin ran another excellent line to power over from close range, Rowland converting both.

Hull looked to have reduced the gap a minute before half time thanks to Ash Leaming’s powerful finish, but Wolves restored their 12-point lead on the last play of the half when winger Tom Battye raced 80 metres to score to the right of the posts and give Rowlands a chance to make it 24-12.

A mistake from Wolves right at the beginning of the second half saw Hull FC gain possession deep in their territory and after three strong drives Abdull went over on the left; converting himself to reduce the deficit to six points.

Wolves responded in kind after good work from stand off Will Milner and Rowland sent centre Will Fairhurst over, but it was at this point that Hull started to turn the screw.

Either side of the hour mark the hosts managed to break Wolves’ line to score; firstly hooker James Cunningham burrowed over from dummy half before a chip through from Abdull on the last tackle saw Starling react quickest to collect and score. Abdull goaled both tries to give his side two-point advantage.

On 70 minutes Hull FC winger Tom Stark and Wolves winger Sean Henney were dismissed for fighting, with Starling and Elliott also yellow carded for their involvement in the same incident, and Hull used the disruption to their advantage.

From the resultant penalty the Humbersiders sent the ball along the line for substitute Sam Hick to score in the right corner, before a penalty goal from Abdull ensured Wolves’ poor start to the season continued.

Wolves: Marcus Elliott, Tom Battye, Will Fairhurst, Jordan Burns, Sean Henney, Will Milner, Declan Patton, Daniel Murray, Ryan Maneely, Joe Philbin, Jacque Peet, James Saltonstall, Jimmy Rowland. Subs: Joe Furlong, Sam Wilde, Robert Holroyd, Jonny Brown.