Text us your news! Start your message Warrington News and send any photos or videos to 80360
Paralympic archer Stubbs crashes out of London 2012
12:17pm Monday 3rd September 2012 in Sport
WARRINGTON'S Paralympic Archery hope John Stubbs believes he has let people down after suffering a shock defeat the men's Compound (Open) at Royal Artillery Barracks.
The Woolston-based bowman admitted that nerves got the better of him in his round of 16 tie against Guillermo Rodriguez Gonzalez.
The 47 year old, a silver medallist at last year’s World Championships, started poorly and despite rallying late on with four 10s eventually lost to 6-4 to the Spaniard, who was ranked 13th in the field.
“For some reason I can’t explain, I felt very nervous,” said Stubbs.
“I suppose it was shooting on home territory in front of a British crowd, which created some tension.
“I’m very disappointed. I feel I’ve let myself, my family and the whole country down.
"My family are coming down from Lancashire tomorrow in time for Sunday’s later rounds expecting to see me in them and I won’t be there.
“The crowd were tremendous and I feel I’ve let them down as well.
"I came back from two sets down and was glad I gave them something to cheer.
“I couldn’t go out 6-0 after the support I’ve been given, so I was glad I made a fist of it.
"It was my last arrow that cost me and I knew it was a poor one the moment it left the bow.
"It scored eight and I knew I had let my opponent in if he could shoot a 10 and, of course, he did.
“Prior to that I had shot four successive 10s, so I thought I was coming back strongly into the match.”
Instead of preparing for a quarter-final match tomorrow, Stubbs said he will now have to consider his future in the sport.
“As for the future, I really don't know what that holds,” he said.
“All I can say about my immediate plans, is that my family is coming down tomorrow.
“We'll stay in London for a while and take in some of the other Paralympic sports while they’re here.
"But I know this is really going to hurt on Sunday, when I should have been competing in the next round."