TONY Smith’s 300th game in charge of Warrington Wolves is a win that secures his team a place in Super League next year.

A fifth straight win in the Middle 8s leaves Wire top of the ladder.

With Hull KR beating Widnes Vikings this afternoon, both Wolves and the Robins are now guaranteed of Super League rugby in 2018.

Peta Hiku, who has confirmed he will be joining New Zealand Warriors next season, and skipper Chris Hill scored all-important levelling tries late on and a penalty goal from the returning Harvey Livett proved decisive.

Wolves went behind in the fourth minute when Josh Drinkwater’s long pass found James Clare in acres of space to cross from 15 metres, with the supplier adding the conversion.

Peta Hiku was a perfect foil as Kurt Gidley found Stefan Ratchford round the back and he fed Matty Russell over by the corner post four minutes later.

Ben Westwood crashed over from Gidley’s pass and Dec Patton’s conversion handed Wolves the lead soon after.

But as the topsy-turvy scoring nature continued Liam Hood took advantage of a scrambling defence from Danny Tickle’s break to force his way over from dummy half.

Drinkwater’s extras put Leigh back in front at 12-10 after 16 minutes.

And on the next set Antoni Maria ploughed over after Cory Paterson knocked back Drinkwater’s high kick. Drinkwater’s extras moved Leigh 18-10 ahead.

Gidley’s fine work from close range was rewarded with a 33rd minute try converted by Patton and Hiku earned possession from a wild Vea offload to set up Kevin Brown for a try in the last minute to see Wire turn around 20-18 in front.

Leigh earned two repeat sets at the start of the second half and made them pay when Stewart’s pass found Vea charging through to cross and Drinkwater converted to hand the lead back to the visitors after 44 minutes.

Hiku, soon after taking a heavy bang, was first to chase down a Patton kick over 50 metres to touch down after calamity in the Leigh defence and level the scores at 24-24 after 54 minutes.

But Leigh were soon back in front as Burr crashed over from first receiver on the last tackle and Drinkwater goaled.

When Dawson dropped a high kick it presented a set in which Gidley’s no-look pass put Chris Hill galloping over and Harvey Livett converted following Patton’s substitution.

With 12 minutes remaining Brown landed a 40-20 and from a penalty that soon followed Livett kicked The Wire into a 32-30 lead that they managed to hang on to.