Grappenhall Sports 2 Maine Road 1

GRAPPENHALL Sports boss Darren Davies was delighted with his side after they bounced back from a loss to Maine Road Reserves on Saturday to beat the same outfit on Tuesday.

Beaten 4-1 away from home at the weekend, Sports made it three from three at their Stockton Lane base this season.

Davies said: "This was a really important game for us. We had to bounce back from the weekend. Missing seven players was a blow but we have a big squad and it was vital.

“I was delighted with the attitude and desire to reverse Saturday’s result and I thought we would good value for the win.

“I thought Ben Howard was excellent and Martin Snagg was superb until his injury. The subs all came on and did well at an important time and that helped us see it through.

“It keeps our excellent home record intact and we look forward to next Tuesday’s game at home to Egerton.

“We have Saturday off and with Snaggy picking up an injury tonight to add himself to the wounded list it's probably come at a good time for us.”

Sports started the game well. Keeping to a disciplined system of sitting deep and trying to hit the opposition on the break was causing Maine Road some problems.

Half chances came and went without any clear cut opportunities being created until a deflected Denico Walters free kick found the net on 16 minutes.

As the half progressed the young Maine Road side came in to in more but Sports remained in control.

On 30 minutes, another set piece, this time an Adam Rosterne corner, was knocked home at the back post via the head of full back Josh Dagley.

The goal was responded to well by Maine Road and they became more threatening with some neat inter play in around the box.

Sports kept good concentration and discipline and some excellent defending, especially from Martin Snagg, kept the door shut.

At the same time Sports were having numerous attacks on the counter without causing the away keeper much work.

Sports started the second half brightly. Firstly, Adam Hunter couldn't quite reach a Dan Sisson cross when unmarked and Ryan Crawford had another decent opportunity, but couldn't control when only having the keeper in front of him.

Maine Road found a way back when a cross came in that was reaching no one and drifting out for a goal kick when the ref adjudged that Dagley pushed his man.

The penalty was nearly saved by Gareth Powell but found the net to narrow the deficit with 15 minutes to go.

Walters shot just wide on two occasions when in on goal. Sub Aaron Williams also forced the keeper into action before the referee blew for full time and another three points at home for Sports.