Woolston Rovers 6 Heworth 50

WOOLSTON Rovers suffered a comprehensive home defeat to a resurgent Heworth side in Kingstone Press National Conference League Division Three at Monks Sports Club on Saturday afternoon.

Heworth, who have improved considerably in recent weeks without getting the win that their efforts had deserved, really took the game to Rovers and were full value for an emphatic win that could well kick-start their play-off push, while handing Rovers a blow in their efforts to remain in the top six.

The visitors opened the scoring in the fifth minute when a chip into the Rovers in-goal area by stand-off Danny Allan bounced awkwardly for Rovers and centre Adam Withington collected to score on the right.

Allan converted and then twelve minutes later a superb offload from second row Steve Scott sent winger Fraser West racing away and even though he got hauled down just short a quick play the ball saw substitute Josh Poulter go from dummy half to score wide out on the left.

Straight from the restart Scott made a marauding fifty-metre break that took him into the Rovers half and as Rovers scrambled to get their defensive line in shape Poulter went from dummy-half once again to score at the side of the posts.

Allan converted and then two minutes before the break Heworth ran the ball on the last tackle and quick hands enabled substitute Tom Aitken to go over in the right corner.

Allan converted from the touchline to give his side a richly deserved 22-0 half time advantage.

Six minutes into the second half Heworth put the game firmly out of Rovers’ reach when loose forward Jonny Payne burrowed over at the side of the posts and then ten minutes later a set move from a scrum saw Allan put Withington over on the right.

Allan converted on both occasions.

Just after the hour Rovers tormentor-in-chief Allan spotted a gap and raced over on the right and then three minutes later Scott made a strong run down the left and he found scrum half Ross Varley in support to race over on the right for a try that Allan converted.

As the game entered the final ten minutes Heworth’s Allan sent a long kick downfield and Withington outpaced everybody to pick up the ball and score his hat-trick in the right corner.

Allan goaled superbly to bring up the Heworth half century but then with seven minutes remaining Rovers gained a consolation try when good work by debutant prop forward Stefan Nedeljković saw him put fellow debutant and Serbian international teammate Stevan Stevanović over for a try on the left.

Stand off Gavin Bishop goaled to complete the scoring and make the final score 50-6 to a jubilant Heworth side.

On a disappointing afternoon for Rovers their best player was once again scrum half Chris Mellor.

Rovers: James Rosson; Lewis Stockton, Tom Keevil, Chris Brown, Craig Davies; Gavin Bishop, Chris Mellor; Andy Addison, Wez Lawton, Stefan Nedeljković, Bobby McGregor, Stevan Stevanović, Danny Brown. Subs: Scott Whiteley, Mike Ward, Phil Stevens, Craig Harris.