Warrington Wolves u19s 63 Hull Kingston Rovers u19s 10

WARRINGTON Wolves produced a stunning display to comprehensively defeat Hull Kingston Rovers in the under 19s Academy at Victoria Park Arena on Friday.

Table-topping Wolves have been in excellent form all season and that continued against a physical Rovers side who never gave up.

The extra skill and concentration that the home side showed saw them complete a very exciting win.

It took eight minutes for Wolves to register their first of 11 tries when a fine drive from prop forward George King put him close to the Rovers line and quick hands saw stand off Declan Patton and centre Toby King combine to put winger Declan Kay over in the left corner.

Ten minutes later the visitors replied when some fine handling stretched the Wolves defence and centre Macauley Hallett put winger Elliot Kerry over wide out on the left to level the scores.

Wolves regained the lead on 21 minutes when a high kick by Patton was fumbled by Rovers and Kay picked up and found full back Jack Johnson.

He was hauled down just short but a quick play the ball saw scrum half Sean Kenny step through a gap to score at the right of the posts.

Patton converted and six minutes later T King made a 75-metre break from his own line to put Wolves on the attack.

Following a penalty Patton gave a lovely inside ball to second row Joe Philbin, who powered over at speed to score at the side of the posts. Patton added the conversion.

Five minutes before the break a superb 40/20 by Patton gave Wolves a scrum in a dangerous position and after setting themselves up well substitute Ryan Maneely kept the ball alive and put J Philbin over in the left corner.

Patton converted and then right on the stroke of half time a clever reverse kick by the impressive Patton on the last tackle was read brilliantly by Johnson who collected and scored at the side of the posts.

Patton added on the goal points to send the young Wolves in at the interval with a commanding 28-4 lead.

Seven minutes into the second half J Philbin went on his own from dummy half to complete his hat-trick.

Hull KR got their second try of the evening four minutes later when quick hands stretched Wolves defence and a fine ball from centre Alex Gilbey found winger Jack Stewart who stepped back inside to score wide out on the right. Hooker Connor Robinson added the conversion.

On the hour a great break from dummy half by Maneely saw him split the Rovers defence and he sent T King away who drew the full back towards him before finding J Philbin in support to go over for his fourth try.

Patton converted and from the re-start substitute Harvey Livett made a great break down the right and then some lovely hands kept the move flowing and Maneely sent T King away to score on the left. Patton converted once again.

The purple patch continued when a great ball from centre Jake Eccleston sent winger Brad Goulding racing down the wing and he found Livett in support who stepped round the Hull KR defence to score wide out on the right.

Patton’s conversion brought up the half century and then Wolves scored their fourth try without their opponents touching the ball.

A super break by Kenny saw him brush off four defenders and he found prop forward Tom Walker who raced over under the posts to give Patton the simplest of conversions.

Wolves scored their final try of the night eight minutes from time when a brilliant short ball from Patton sent Johnson on a 40-metre break and he put Kay over on the left.

Patton converted and then right on time he rubbed salt into Rovers’ wounds by popping over a drop goal to complete an excellent 63-10 success.

Wolves: Jack Johnson; Brad Goulding, Jake Eccleston, Toby King, Declan Kay; Declan Patton, Sean Kenny; Tom Walker, Daniel Hirst, George King, Joe Philbin, James Jones, Sam Wilde. Subs: Harvey Livett, Alex Whalley, Andy Philbin, Ryan Maneely.