Moore 6 Dukinfield 5

THE rescheduled game against Dukinfield saw a heavily depleted home side welcoming the visitors to Moss Lane for what was a must-win game to keep their chances of staying in South Lancs and Cheshire 2 alive.

A cool afternoon with a blustery wind saw the visitors kick off with the downhill advantage. Moore immediately took the ball into contact without being intimidated by the bigger side and showed that despite half of the regular First being unavailable, the replacements stepping up from the Second were more than capable of upsetting Dukinfield's rhythm.

Several forays into the Dukinfield half forced the visitors to concede a penalty and Holmes obliged by opening the Moore account.

Holmes misjudged the wind and put another kick wide before the visitors rallied and pressed the hosts deep into their own 22.

Then using their size advantage to press a couple of well-drilled mauls toward the Moore line the courageous and determined tackling from Laga, Woollacott and Hoskinson held them at bay for several attacks but it wasn't enough to keep the marauding forwards from crossing the line to take the lead.

With half time looming, the Moore forwards were struggling in the scrums but were competing in the loose and turned over ball several times.

The unlikely partnership of Griffiths and Christie at number nine and number 10 used the ever available Atherton as a battering ram to drive through the gain line.

Eventually, Dukinfield conceded another penalty and the trusty boot of Holmes poked it clear to inch Moore ahead as they broke for half-time.

The second half saw changes and the fresh legs of Jackson, Hanmer and Cunningham taking to the field.

The scrums steadied and Moore dominated much of the play.

The visitors attack remained resolute and determined but it was no match for the Moore defence.

Both teams had small breaks that had potential but the Moore scramble defence was superior with Pigeon and Hanmer standing strong and preventing the field attack from attacking the wings.

Despite Moore having the better half, it remained scoreless and the home side ran out eventual winners courtesy of Holmes' boot in the first half and now have three wins on the bounce to take into the next game at home against Southport.