New Mills 2 Warrington Town 3

By James Gordon

WARRINGTON Town ended a run of four games without a win with a 3-2 triumph at New Mills on Monday night.

After three consecutive 0-0 draws, it was a welcome return to the goals for Shaun Reid's men, and a win that puts the pressure on Darlington in the race for second place, one that could be crucial come the play-offs.

Town started with a good tempo, playing down the infamous hill at New Mills, and took the lead on 11 minutes.

Striker Ben Wharton found himself in all sorts of space inside the box from Aaron Bowen's low cross, and managed to divert the ball home via a deflection.

Bowen worked tirelessly throughout, and his direct run down the right and cross should have been tucked away for a second by Wharton, but the striker failed to connect.

The momentum was well and truly with Town, and Liam Dawson's in-swinging corner was completely missed by the New Mills goalkeeper and everyone in the area before flying wide.

Dawson then thundered a left foot half-volley against the crossbar, and Town were playing some of their best football for several weeks.

They seemed relatively content at the back, although they were grateful for Phil Davies' block on the far side after Jay McCarten had been outpaced down the right.

Town almost doubled their lead on the counter attack, Scott Metcalfe beating two men on a great solo run to the edge of the box, only to see his shot tipped round the post in what was a very good save by Peter Collinge.

But from the corner, Town did find that second goal, former New Mills favourite Carlos Meakin heading home from Dawson's delivery.

Meakin almost had a second before the break, but Town went in at half time well worth their 2-0 lead.

The going was always going to be tougher up the hill in the second half, and although Raduccio King was causing Town problems down the New Mills left, they lacked cutting edge in the final third.

Clear cut chances were few and far between for 25 minutes, until Westley Bancroft curled a free-kick just wide, to trigger a good period for the hosts.

It was during that time in which they got themselves back in to the game, Michael Smith finding the back of the net to set up an interesting final 11 minutes or so.

But substitute Chris Gahgan came off the bench, and within two minutes, had set up a crucial third Town goal. His low cross from the right was diverted towards goal by Meakin, although it may well go down as an own goal at the back post.

Town weren't too worried about the scorer, their two-goal lead restored, and despite a late goal for Bancroft, they held on for a well deserved and much needed three points.

Warrington Ollerenshaw, Davies, Thompson, Meakin, McCarten, Robinson, Dawson (Gahgan), Mannix, Wharton (Kilheeney), Bowen (Ruane), Metcalfe. Subs not used Glass, Corrigan.