Eagle Sports 1 Garswood United 1

EAGLE Sports had to make do with a point after table toppers Garswood United came from behind to share the spoils at Thornton Road.

Stuart Bruce fired the Sky Blues in front but the visitors fought their way back into the game as both sides maintained their impressive unbeaten streaks.

Eagle started strongly and, just like last week against rivals Greenalls, opened the scoring early on.

A wind-assisted Jay Waldron long throw wreaked havoc in the Garswood box and Bruce was on hand to volley into the top corner as the hosts took the lead.

The wind continued to have an impact on play as another Waldron long throw was not properly cleared, though this time Lee Boardman could only fire over.

The away side improved as the half wore on and Chris Francis went close before Nicky Prescott dragged a shot wide of Neil McDermott’s near post.

Garswood continued to knock on the proverbial door and the equaliser arrived just before half time.

A quick counter attack found Prescott down the right, whose deft cross was headed home by top scorer Francis to even things up.

With the wind against them for much of the second half, Eagle’s resistance at the back was put to the test as the visitors went in search of the winner.

Craig Hall was on hand to block Prescott’s scuffed effort while Connor Irving saw his header excellently caught by McDermott.

The Sky Blues dug deep and soon forged a half chance of their own, with Josh Purcell testing the reflexes of the Garswood keeper.

Purcell, drafted in at the last minute due to the absence of Eagle strikers Ged McAllister and Owen Ellis, worked his way past three defenders before firing a tame shot at the man between the sticks.

Prescott blazed a free kick over the bar late on as the visitors pressed for the winning goal but the Eagle defence held firm to claim a hard-fought point.

Team: McDermott, Coleman, Chinn, Hall, N Williams, Bruce, Hope, Boardman, Walker, Waldron, Roberts. Subs Purcell, Cross, Maher, McAllister.