LYMM fell closer still to the National League Three Midlands’ relegation zone after a frustrating draw in terrible conditions at Birmingham University’s Edgebaston campus.

Wind and rain played their part, but Lymm coach Chris Kinsey believes his side ‘left two league points out on the field’ despite having to score a last-gasp equaliser.

“I will be looking for individuals to take a bit more leadership responsibility and be more clinical in their decisions and actions when league leaders, Broadstreet travel as first time visitors to Beechwood on Saturday,” he said.

After a bright start Lymm conceded a succession of penalties that led directly to the game’s first try, with Bournville kicking to the corner and winning the line-out to score a converted try.

But when captain Ollie Higginson stole a line out, it resulted in Cormack Nolan striking a penalty that reduced their arrears to 7-3.

A yellow card meant Lymm now had a numerical advantage, and they made the most of it when Higginson grounded a push-over try just before the break.

A penalty early in the second half restored the hosts’ lead to 10-8, and though Lymm played some excellent rugby that almost resulted in Andy Rowley crossing in the corner, had to make do with another Nolan penalty.

Having taken a slender lead Lymm seemed happy to defend it, spending the next 10 minutes with their backs to the wall.

This was before Jordan Widderington saw yellow and Bournville scored the first of several decisive penalties.

With eight minutes left another kick meant Lymm trailed 16-11, but that seemed to bring the best out of the visitors.

Ollie Higginson was leading, running hard at every opportunity, stealing line outs and setting up driving mauls, while the forwards began to dominate set scrums.

Several chances to win the game slipped through Lymm’s cold and wet fingers, but with seconds remaining a line-out close to the Bournville line resulted in John Millington bundling over in the corner to rescue a deserved share of the points.

Lymm 2nd 14
Preston 3rd 0

LYMM overcame both Preston and the difficult conditions to earn a fine win.

They dominated early pressure and territory, but the final pass didn’t go to hand until Jack Harper drove over from a line-out.

Tom Shard converted magnificently from the touchline.

Rick McEvoy then doubled their lead with a great try from 40-metres, beating four would-be tacklers, with Tom Shard converting again.

As the conditions worsened so did the standard of play, but Lymm upped their defence led by Mark Sutton and Dan Horton and claim an impressive victory in difficult circumstances.