Ruane's last-gasp winner extends Town's lead at summit

Warrington Guardian: Celebrating the winning goal. Picture by John Hopkins Celebrating the winning goal. Picture by John Hopkins

WARRINGTON went eight points clear at the top of Evo-Stik First Division North thanks to a last gasp winner from super sub Ash Ruane with a 2-1 win at Radcliffe Borough.

With second placed Curson otherwise engaged in the FA Trophy, going down 2-1 at Chorley, Warrington extended their lead at the top of the table.

But they were made to work hard by their hosts who belied their position near the bottom of the table with a battling performance which almost gained a draw against the run away league leaders.

Warrington dominated much of the first half and looked to be one up within 10 minutes when Ciaran Kilheeney rifled the ball home from outside the box, but had the effort ruled out for apparent handball while controlling the ball.

Kilheeney was again on target on 19 minutes only to see his goal bound effort well saved by the Radcliffe keeper.

Ben Wharton was next to go close for the Wire as he shot across the face of goal.

On 30 minutes Aaron Bowen limped off with a groin injury to the replaced by Chris Gahgan.

Within a minute Warrington took the lead as Scott Metcalfe angled the ball into the net from outside the box to make it 1-0.

It was all Warrington now as Radcliffe made two goal line clearances in quick succession and were lucky to be only one down by the break.

The hosts were denied an equaliser on 47 minutes when Josh Cook saved well from Jake Parker. Five minutes later it was all level as Bradley Robinson raced clear to slot the ball home.

Warrington responded pushing forward as Carlos Meakin fired just wide on the hour followed by a curling Chris Gahgan effort going just over the bar.

Town continued to push for the winner as skipper David Mannix fired over the bar.

On 77 minutes Wharton was withdrawn with an injury to the arm he broke earlier in the season with Ruane coming off the bench to join the attack.

Warrington thought they had scored in the closing stages when a Gahgan effort was saved on the line by the Radcliffe keeper.

With the game moving into stoppage time it looked like Town would have to settle for a draw when up stepped Ruane to calmly slot the ball into the back of the net from a corner to grab all three points much to the delight of the travelling fans.

Town: Cook, Davies, Thompson, Meakin, McCarten, Robinson, Kilheeney, Mannix (c), Bowen, Wharton, Metcalfe. Subs: Gahgan (Bowen), Dogan, Dawson, McKenna, Ruane (Wharton).


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree