Curzon Ashton 4 Warrington Town 2

WARRINGTON Town's promotion hopes have suffered a significant dent after they fell to a 4-2 defeat against play-off rivals Curzon Ashton.

Shaun Reid's side needed a victory if they were to realistically maintain their hopes of a fifth-placed finish at the end of the Evo-Stik Division One North season, but defeat instead leaves them six points down on the position having played more games than any of the teams above them.

Reid handed a debut to new goalkeeper Matty Urwin and striker Karl Noon, but were behind inside five minutes after full back Simon Woodford headed home an uncleared corner past a static Town rearguard.

Town recovered and went close through David Mannix, who shot too close to Josh Ollerenshaw in the Ashton goal, and midfielder Lee Parle, who headed a glorious chance wide of the upright.

But midway through the half Town fell further behind and once again it was Woodford who scored, producing an impressive overhead kick to convert another uncleared corner.

Yellows continued to battle away, but on 38 minutes the hosts all but wrapped up the game when Curzon striker Kristian Dennis finished with aplomb after being played through a flat rearguard.

The introduction of Ash Ruane after the break proved productive for the visitors, as he set up a fine effort for Ciaran Kilheeney before offering a Reid's men a glimmer of hope by beating the Ashton keeper to a loose ball.

The goal steadied Town's nerves but it was to no avail, as Parle's second yellow card allowed the hosts to complete their scoring through Scott Metcalfe with eight minutes remaining.

Mannix's late free kick sailed into the net to give Town the last word, but that will be little comfort to a Warrington side that have most likely left themselves too much to do as the promotion race enters the final stages.

Town: Matty Urwin (d), Davies, Doran, Parle, McCarten, Dogan (C), Fowler (Newby, 61), Mannix, Kilheeney, Karl Noon (d) (Ruane,57), Miles (Mooney, 80).