Trafford 3 Warrington Town 2

WARRINGTON Town suffered their second 3-2 defeat in eight days at Shawe View, once again throwing away a two-goal lead.

The Boxing Day clash turned out to be a pulsating league encounter to follow on from the Dootson Cup tie.

Assistant manager Lee Smith made two changes to the starting line-up in the absense of manager Shaun Reid, with Jimmy McCarthy replacing Andy Kilheeney and Kevin Townson fielded instead of Ash Ruane.

Chances were at a premium early on but Town had the best of those that did come.

Peter Dogan dispossessed Trafford defender Nia Banayu before freeing striker Ciaran Kilheeney, who bore down on goal only for the prolific striker to shoot wide of the upright with Trafford keeper Tom Read well beaten.

With the home side being constantly pressured by Town, Townson shot wide when well placed and a Kilheeney effort was saved well by Read.

On 27 minutes, Town took a deserved lead, with John Miles playing in Townson, who showed neat footwork to slot home past Read.

Within a minute, Trafford broke away and Town defender Phil Doran's attempted clearance struck his own upright before bouncing away to safety.

After this near miss, the home side came more into the game and were awarded a penalty four minutes later after Doran fouled Trafford's Michael Oates when through on goal.

In what proved to be a let off, the referee only produced a yellow card for the defender and Oates blasted his penalty high over the crossbar.

Town continued to dominate the game and a 35-yard free kick from former Liverpool FC midfielder John Miles smacked against the crossbar.

The Trafford defence failed to deal with the rebound and McCarthy’s pin-point cross was smashed home by midfielder Phil Mooney.

Town were grateful to goalkeeper Andy Robertson soon after as he saved well from Trafford midfielder Paul Ashton's powerful low drive.

The half-time introduction of Shelton Payne for Kamahl Wright gave Trafford fresh impetus going forward but it was Town who went closest early on, McCarthy seeing his low shot well saved by Read.

On the hour mark, Trafford pulled a goal back.

Ashton was given space to meet Payne's cross at the far post and shot home beyond Robertson into the roof of the net.

With a goal between the teams, the game opened up in very heavy rain.

A McCarthy powerful drive was saved at full length by Read before the home side found an equaliser that their play deserved.

Oates picked up the ball 35 yards out from goal, advanced and slammed home low beyond Robertson from well outside of the penalty area.

With just under a quarter of an hour left, Trafford were awarded another penalty with Payne going down easily under the challenge of Doran.

Payne made no mistake although Robertson went the right way.

After being ahead for so long, and now being behind, Town struggled to get back into the game, and never really created a chance or tested Read in the short time that was left, despite the introduction of Ash Ruane from the subs bench.

Town: Robertson, Davies, Doran, Dogan, Mitter, McCarten, McCarthy, Mooney, Townson (Ruane 84mins), Miles, C Kilheeney. Subs not used: A Kilheeney, West, Flynn.