A DRINK driver who was almost twice the legal limit when he reached 150mph on the M62 was detained by police after he stopped for a McDonald’s.

Matthew Jackson, of Alaska Mews, Great Sankey, was jailed for 12 weeks at Liverpool Crown Court on July 12 after he was convicted of dangerous driving and drink driving.

The court heard how the 38-year-old businessman was arrested after he sped along the motorway at 9.45pm on May 28 in his black Mercedes AMG with his wife in the passenger seat.

Jackson had been on a night out in Liverpool when he shot past an unmarked Merseyside Police car.

Sergeant Ryan Lowry, who was travelling at 70mph, could barely make out his licence plate due to the speed Jackson was driving at on the eastbound carriageway.

Other motorists were forced to brake to avoid crashing into Jackson as he moved from lane three to lane one.

He left the motorway at junction eight before heading around a 30mph roundabout at 60mph and veering onto the wrong side of the road.

Sgt Lowry and a Cheshire Police officer boxed in his car at McDonald’s at Gemini Retail Park.

It was clear to the officer that Jackson had been drinking as he was slurring his words and was unsteady on his feet.

A breathalyser test found Jackson, who has no previous convictions apart from three penalty points for speeding, had 68 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath. 

The legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

During the police interview he accepted he was going fast, but said he wasn’t aware of the speed.

Robert Smith, defending, urged the judge to suspend any prison sentence as Jackson was 'full of remorse' for his actions. 

He said: “This is an isolated incident from this man, who is a positive member of society. 

"He provides employment to six full-time employees.

“He is a self-made man. 

"He acted foolishly. It was a very stupid decision to get behind the wheel. 

"He felt okay to drive - plainly he wasn’t.”

But Judge Clement Goldstone, QC, said he would be sending out the wrong message if he didn't impose an immediate custodial sentence.

He handed Jackson 12 weeks in prison, a driving ban of three years and six weeks, and ordered him to pay £500 prosecution costs.