MOTORISTS survived major injury despite a massive crash which shut the M62 at rush hour on Tuesday.
The road was closed in both directions near Birchwood following the smash around 6pm to allow an air ambulance to land.
Commuters left their cars and stood on the carriageway in hot temperatures.
But miraculously, police say none of those involved suffered serious injuries in the collision between two lorries and a a car.
One of the lorries had gone through the central reservation.
It happened eastbound between junction 10 for the M6 at Croft and junction 11 at Birchwood around 6pm.
Many people were left in queues for more than two hours.
- IN PICTURES: The Hawthorne reopens after £180k refurb
- The Warrington Guardian advent calendar 2016 - door 10
- 10-year-old collecting presents for youngsters spending Christmas in hospital after brother's stay on children's ward
- UPDATED: Police identify man in CCTV following investigation into serious sexual assault
- Plea for help after driver fled from scene of crash
Fire crews were called to the incident, cutting a man out of the cab of a HGV before he was taken to the air ambulance.
Guardian photographer Mike Boden took these pictures at the scene