MOTORISTS survived major injury despite a massive crash which shut the M62 at rush hour on Tuesday.
The road was closed in both directions near Birchwood following the smash around 6pm to allow an air ambulance to land.
Commuters left their cars and stood on the carriageway in hot temperatures.
But miraculously, police say none of those involved suffered serious injuries in the collision between two lorries and a a car.
One of the lorries had gone through the central reservation.
It happened eastbound between junction 10 for the M6 at Croft and junction 11 at Birchwood around 6pm.
Many people were left in queues for more than two hours.
- Plans to bulldoze restaurant to make way for 93 apartments approved despite objections
- Heavy traffic reported as drivers leave Creamfields
- PHOTO GALLERY UPDATED: Spot Wolves fans in the Wembley crowd during the Challenge Cup Final
- Play raising money for cancer charities promises plenty of laughs and a few tears
- Are you registered to vote?
Fire crews were called to the incident, cutting a man out of the cab of a HGV before he was taken to the air ambulance.
Guardian photographer Mike Boden took these pictures at the scene