MOTORISTS survived major injury despite a massive crash which shut the M62 at rush hour on Tuesday.
The road was closed in both directions near Birchwood following the smash around 6pm to allow an air ambulance to land.
Commuters left their cars and stood on the carriageway in hot temperatures.
But miraculously, police say none of those involved suffered serious injuries in the collision between two lorries and a a car.
One of the lorries had gone through the central reservation.
It happened eastbound between junction 10 for the M6 at Croft and junction 11 at Birchwood around 6pm.
Many people were left in queues for more than two hours.
- Teen's design chosen to be new logo for deaf charity
- Fatty Arbuckles, the Odeon, and V96 - Warrington in the 1990s
- College helps put teen on track for Tokyo 2020
- Town's GPs say their jobs are 'unpleasant and unrewarding' as report finds workloads are at a 'critical point'
- AS IT HAPPENED: St Helens 31 Warrington Wolves 6
Fire crews were called to the incident, cutting a man out of the cab of a HGV before he was taken to the air ambulance.
Guardian photographer Mike Boden took these pictures at the scene