MOTORISTS survived major injury despite a massive crash which shut the M62 at rush hour on Tuesday.
The road was closed in both directions near Birchwood following the smash around 6pm to allow an air ambulance to land.
Commuters left their cars and stood on the carriageway in hot temperatures.
But miraculously, police say none of those involved suffered serious injuries in the collision between two lorries and a a car.
One of the lorries had gone through the central reservation.
It happened eastbound between junction 10 for the M6 at Croft and junction 11 at Birchwood around 6pm.
Many people were left in queues for more than two hours.
- Adults with learning disabilities receive thank you from the Queen after sending birthday card
- Scout group spend summer holidays tidying forgotten graves of war veterans
- WEMBLEY, AS IT HAPPENED: Hull FC 12 Warrington Wolves 10
- FULL-TIME REPORT: Warrington Wolves 10 Hull FC 12
- PHOTO GALLERY, WEMBLEY: All the Challenge Cup final action
Fire crews were called to the incident, cutting a man out of the cab of a HGV before he was taken to the air ambulance.
Guardian photographer Mike Boden took these pictures at the scene