MOTORISTS survived major injury despite a massive crash which shut the M62 at rush hour on Tuesday.
The road was closed in both directions near Birchwood following the smash around 6pm to allow an air ambulance to land.
Commuters left their cars and stood on the carriageway in hot temperatures.
But miraculously, police say none of those involved suffered serious injuries in the collision between two lorries and a a car.
One of the lorries had gone through the central reservation.
It happened eastbound between junction 10 for the M6 at Croft and junction 11 at Birchwood around 6pm.
Many people were left in queues for more than two hours.
- VIDEO: Heartwarming moment dancers help groom-to-be secure a 'yes' from the love of his life
- Residents urged to stub it out as Stoptober begins
- Police arrest five people in separate incidents overnight
- Fire breaks out under Cantilever Bridge
- Grandmother invites residents to donate knickers and notes for refugees
Fire crews were called to the incident, cutting a man out of the cab of a HGV before he was taken to the air ambulance.
Guardian photographer Mike Boden took these pictures at the scene