'Lucky escape' for Lower Walton kitchen blaze pair

Fire crews called to Lower Walton kitchen blaze

Fire crews called to Lower Walton kitchen blaze

First published in News
Last updated

A FATHER and son had a lucky escape after smoke alarms previously fitted by Cheshire Fire alerted them to a chip pan blaze in the kitchen.

Flames broke out at 1.10pm on Monday on Silverdale Road in Lower Walton after the pan had been left on the hob.

Son Paul Pickering, aged 52, said: “I was only upstairs for five minutes and heard the smoke detector going off in the hallway.

“If the alarm hadn't gone off then I wouldn't have had time to get out.

“I can’t believe how quick the fire spread.”

Cheshire Fire said the pair were lucky to escape with minor burns after attempting to tackle the fire themselves before dialling 999.

Paul Jackson, station manager, said: “This incident has proved that smoke alarms do save lives.
“They did their job and gave this family valuable time to escape.

“I would advise anyone in the same situation to close the door on the fire if they can, then get out, stay out and call us out.”

Following the blaze, Cheshire Fire’s post fire support team helped with the clean-up operation and Mr Pickering was also given a free deep fat fryer by Warrington’s community fire safety team so he did not need to use a chip pan in the future.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree