Warning after tumble dryer fire in Padgate

Warrington Guardian: Warning after tumble dryer fire in Padgate Warning after tumble dryer fire in Padgate

FIRE safety offices are warning businesses to be extra careful when using tumble dryers after a fire nearly broke out in Padgate.

Firefighters were called to Regent Avenue at 9.30pm on Tuesday after a smell of burning was detected inside the garage of a property.

Two fire crews attended the scene and found a tumble dryer with towels in that had became hot and started smoking.

Keith Brooks, head of community fire protection said: “I would like to urge all tumble dryer users to take our advice and stay safe from fire, but particularly business owners where the chance of a fire is greatly increased.

“Regular maintenance, and washing materials at the correct temperature to remove residue is vital, but no appliance should ever be left running while unattended or overnight.”

According to Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, businesses such as hairdressers, physiotherapists, sports and aromatherapy massage premises that use oils and chemicals as part of their job, or cafes, bars and restaurants that work with oil and fat are at risk if they use tumble dryers.

For free fire safety advice visit cheshirefire.gov.uk or call the Warrington Community Fire Protection Office on 634593.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:30pm Thu 8 May 14

Nick Tessla says...

I'm puzzled-don't these businesses wash their towels?
I'm puzzled-don't these businesses wash their towels? Nick Tessla
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree