VIDEO: Town turns out to pay respects on 21st anniversary of Warrington bombing (From Warrington Guardian)
Text us your news! Start your message Warrington News and send any photos or videos to 80360
VIDEO: Town turns out to pay respects on 21st anniversary of Warrington bombing
Updated 1:22pm Thursday 20th March 2014 in News
A ONE minute silence on Bridge Street today, Thursday, marked the end of a poignant week for the families of Warrington bombing victims Tim Parry and Johnathan Ball.
After it was announced in yesterday’s Budget a vital programme for victims of terrorism, set up in memory of the two young boys, had been saved at the eleventh hour, relatives of the youngsters could pay their respects with the knowledge their legacy would continue.
Crowds gathered at 12.27pm, the time an IRA bomb ripped through the town leaving a mark on so many residents’ lives.
Father of 12-year-old Tim, Colin Parry said: “The people of this town can hold their heads high after doing so much following such an awful event.
“Every year is important to us.
“Tim and Johnathan would both be young men now with families of their own and holding down good jobs.
“Their memories will live on and are enshrined in this plaque.”
Many laid flowers at the memorial to the two boys before Rev Stephen Kingsnorth led a one minute silence during which some shed tears remembering the tragic events in 1993.
Paul Comerford, Johnathan’s brother, said anniversaries are always hard for him and family as the three-year-old was killed the day after Paul’s 16th birthday.
He added: “You have just got to plod on but it doesn’t get any easier.
“I feel touched so many people have come out today to pay their respects.”
Comments are closed on this article.