Plans for large cat sign in Padgate turned down by councillors

Clr Colin Froggatt

Clr Colin Froggatt

First published in News

CHESHIRE cats will not be grinning after Padgate residents said they do not want to wake up every morning to see a ‘huge cat’.

Cats Protection’s plans for advertising boards at its Elizabeth Drive base have been thrown out.

The charity wanted a 1.85m by 3.6m picture of a ginger cat sprawled out above the door to welcome visitors and a 1.5m by 2.53m logo on the side of the building.

But the plans have not left residents in the cul-de-sac feline good as the entrance sign would be just 25m from the nearest home.

Resident Helen Bradshaw said the signs would damage the character of the area and be an over-development of the site.

Clr Colin Froggatt, ward councillor for Poulton South, added: “Why would they want these big signs when there is no passing traffic and no passing trade?

“The only people it will draw the attention of is the neighbours. They would get up every morning to see this huge cat.

“They’re of no use for advertising. They might as well put them in the cellar. They would have the same effect.”

Cats Protection’s proposal also gave Warrington Borough Council’s development control committee paws for thought.

Clr Sheila Woodyatt said: “Just looking at this cat, it’s a lovely creature but it’s a cattery for goodness sake.

“People don’t need a sign to know where it is. It’s huge, over the top and totally unnecessary.”

Clr Tony McCarthy, chairman of the development control committee, added: “I’m at a loss how this would help the charity.

“It’s a cul-de-sac. The only people with a reason to go down there would be residents or people already looking for the cattery.”

The committee refused the plans for the entrance sign and logo on the side of the building but approved another proposal for a 1m by 2m banner on the existing fencing.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:50am Wed 19 Mar 14

muckerman says...

Sounds like sour grapes from locals who did not want the charity in their area in the first place. I've heard people say the cattery is difficult to find. If this is the case a sign would be helpful and welcoming.
As for "signs would damage the character of the area" ????...do me a favour love.
Sounds like sour grapes from locals who did not want the charity in their area in the first place. I've heard people say the cattery is difficult to find. If this is the case a sign would be helpful and welcoming. As for "signs would damage the character of the area" ????...do me a favour love. muckerman
  • Score: 0

11:23am Wed 19 Mar 14

Freeborn John says...

The neighbours probably feared they'd end up with enormous cardboard cut outs of cat poo in their gardens.
The neighbours probably feared they'd end up with enormous cardboard cut outs of cat poo in their gardens. Freeborn John
  • Score: 5

11:39am Wed 19 Mar 14

Nick Tessla says...

muckerman wrote:
Sounds like sour grapes from locals who did not want the charity in their area in the first place. I've heard people say the cattery is difficult to find. If this is the case a sign would be helpful and welcoming.
As for "signs would damage the character of the area" ????...do me a favour love.
It's a residential street not a business park.
[quote][p][bold]muckerman[/bold] wrote: Sounds like sour grapes from locals who did not want the charity in their area in the first place. I've heard people say the cattery is difficult to find. If this is the case a sign would be helpful and welcoming. As for "signs would damage the character of the area" ????...do me a favour love.[/p][/quote]It's a residential street not a business park. Nick Tessla
  • Score: 1

12:51pm Wed 19 Mar 14

muckerman says...

Nick Tessla wrote:
muckerman wrote:
Sounds like sour grapes from locals who did not want the charity in their area in the first place. I've heard people say the cattery is difficult to find. If this is the case a sign would be helpful and welcoming.
As for "signs would damage the character of the area" ????...do me a favour love.
It's a residential street not a business park.
...and Cats Protection is a charity that does good work, not a "business".
[quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muckerman[/bold] wrote: Sounds like sour grapes from locals who did not want the charity in their area in the first place. I've heard people say the cattery is difficult to find. If this is the case a sign would be helpful and welcoming. As for "signs would damage the character of the area" ????...do me a favour love.[/p][/quote]It's a residential street not a business park.[/p][/quote]...and Cats Protection is a charity that does good work, not a "business". muckerman
  • Score: 4

7:31pm Thu 20 Mar 14

secretsix says...

It is difficult to find but surely a sign off Green Lane would be benificial to help people find it- there is a sign on the entrance gate already too. The signs they wanted wouldn't be seen by anyone other than the residents as the building cannot be seen on the street so it's the right decision on my opinion.
It is difficult to find but surely a sign off Green Lane would be benificial to help people find it- there is a sign on the entrance gate already too. The signs they wanted wouldn't be seen by anyone other than the residents as the building cannot be seen on the street so it's the right decision on my opinion. secretsix
  • Score: 4

9:07pm Thu 20 Mar 14

old-codger says...

No grinning like a Cheshire cat then in Elizabeth Drive. Its hard to find at any time of the day,
No grinning like a Cheshire cat then in Elizabeth Drive. Its hard to find at any time of the day, old-codger
  • Score: 0

4:54pm Tue 15 Apr 14

drbarnes82 says...

muckerman wrote:
Nick Tessla wrote:
muckerman wrote:
Sounds like sour grapes from locals who did not want the charity in their area in the first place. I've heard people say the cattery is difficult to find. If this is the case a sign would be helpful and welcoming.
As for "signs would damage the character of the area" ????...do me a favour love.
It's a residential street not a business park.
...and Cats Protection is a charity that does good work, not a "business".
Therefore it doesn't need huge signs that would not even be seen from the road. Signs at the road directing custom to their location would be fine and we were not opposed to them. A big 3.6m cat overlooking our property and nothing else...not fine.

How would you like to wake up, look out the window to be greeted with this every day?

https://i.imgur.com/
hgOeQw2.jpg

Sour grapes? no I don't think so. We actually support what they do, this is nothing against Cats protection themselves just the unnecessary signage they proposed...so you do me a favour...love.
[quote][p][bold]muckerman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muckerman[/bold] wrote: Sounds like sour grapes from locals who did not want the charity in their area in the first place. I've heard people say the cattery is difficult to find. If this is the case a sign would be helpful and welcoming. As for "signs would damage the character of the area" ????...do me a favour love.[/p][/quote]It's a residential street not a business park.[/p][/quote]...and Cats Protection is a charity that does good work, not a "business".[/p][/quote]Therefore it doesn't need huge signs that would not even be seen from the road. Signs at the road directing custom to their location would be fine and we were not opposed to them. A big 3.6m cat overlooking our property and nothing else...not fine. How would you like to wake up, look out the window to be greeted with this every day? https://i.imgur.com/ hgOeQw2.jpg Sour grapes? no I don't think so. We actually support what they do, this is nothing against Cats protection themselves just the unnecessary signage they proposed...so you do me a favour...love. drbarnes82
  • Score: 1

6:00pm Tue 15 Apr 14

drbarnes82 says...

drbarnes82 wrote:
muckerman wrote:
Nick Tessla wrote:
muckerman wrote:
Sounds like sour grapes from locals who did not want the charity in their area in the first place. I've heard people say the cattery is difficult to find. If this is the case a sign would be helpful and welcoming.
As for "signs would damage the character of the area" ????...do me a favour love.
It's a residential street not a business park.
...and Cats Protection is a charity that does good work, not a "business".
Therefore it doesn't need huge signs that would not even be seen from the road. Signs at the road directing custom to their location would be fine and we were not opposed to them. A big 3.6m cat overlooking our property and nothing else...not fine.

How would you like to wake up, look out the window to be greeted with this every day?

https://i.imgur.com/

hgOeQw2.jpg

Sour grapes? no I don't think so. We actually support what they do, this is nothing against Cats protection themselves just the unnecessary signage they proposed...so you do me a favour...love.
http://i.imgur.com/h
gOeQw2.jpg?1
[quote][p][bold]drbarnes82[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muckerman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]muckerman[/bold] wrote: Sounds like sour grapes from locals who did not want the charity in their area in the first place. I've heard people say the cattery is difficult to find. If this is the case a sign would be helpful and welcoming. As for "signs would damage the character of the area" ????...do me a favour love.[/p][/quote]It's a residential street not a business park.[/p][/quote]...and Cats Protection is a charity that does good work, not a "business".[/p][/quote]Therefore it doesn't need huge signs that would not even be seen from the road. Signs at the road directing custom to their location would be fine and we were not opposed to them. A big 3.6m cat overlooking our property and nothing else...not fine. How would you like to wake up, look out the window to be greeted with this every day? https://i.imgur.com/ hgOeQw2.jpg Sour grapes? no I don't think so. We actually support what they do, this is nothing against Cats protection themselves just the unnecessary signage they proposed...so you do me a favour...love.[/p][/quote]http://i.imgur.com/h gOeQw2.jpg?1 drbarnes82
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree