Hospital slams cancer hoax e-mail

Hospital slams cancer hoax e-mail

Hospital slams cancer hoax e-mail

First published in News

HOSPITAL bosses have slammed a ‘cruel’ national e-mail hoax telling patients in the town they may have cancer.

Thousands of people across the country were sent the fake e-mail, believed to have come from Turkish and Indian ‘spammers’, in the last week claiming to be from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) with with the subject line ‘Important blood analysis result’.

Chris Horner, from the communications team at Warrington and Halton Hospitals, said: “Because so many people have blood tests as part of tests or routine care, the spam email was received by some of our patients who are waiting for results or have just had tests.

“We’ve been able to reassure them as NICE reacted very quickly to the issue.

“It’s a very malicious trick to play on people that looks like it comes from a creditable source.

“NICE’s advice has been to simply delete the email and not to open any links contained in it.”

The hoax has been reported to the police.

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:43am Wed 19 Mar 14

Freeborn John says...

My elderly next door neighbour got one of these fake cancer Emails just this morning, since he's actually having blood tests for various ailments it rattled him to the core.
These spamming criminal riff raff and their con tricks appear to be happily accepted by the authorities as a fact of life, that's not good enough.
My elderly next door neighbour got one of these fake cancer Emails just this morning, since he's actually having blood tests for various ailments it rattled him to the core. These spamming criminal riff raff and their con tricks appear to be happily accepted by the authorities as a fact of life, that's not good enough. Freeborn John
  • Score: 0

12:30pm Wed 19 Mar 14

Nick Tessla says...

GRUMPY PARENT wrote:
I would hope that results of this nature in any case would not be sent via email, I am sure they are not, but it just shows what humans are capable of (if you can call these spammers human). Also don't understand what they had to gain from the email. Worse thing the world ever did was give these nationals computers and phones!
Still Grumpy
Is your answer really that the west should not let certain nations have access to technology - on the basis that it belongs to us and it is for us to dole out to lesser peoples like a wise colonial master?

If so your attitude is disgraceful and belongs in the 19th century.
[quote][p][bold]GRUMPY PARENT[/bold] wrote: I would hope that results of this nature in any case would not be sent via email, I am sure they are not, but it just shows what humans are capable of (if you can call these spammers human). Also don't understand what they had to gain from the email. Worse thing the world ever did was give these nationals computers and phones! Still Grumpy[/p][/quote]Is your answer really that the west should not let certain nations have access to technology - on the basis that it belongs to us and it is for us to dole out to lesser peoples like a wise colonial master? If so your attitude is disgraceful and belongs in the 19th century. Nick Tessla
  • Score: 0

1:54pm Fri 21 Mar 14

GRUMPY PARENT says...

Nick Tessla wrote:
GRUMPY PARENT wrote:
I would hope that results of this nature in any case would not be sent via email, I am sure they are not, but it just shows what humans are capable of (if you can call these spammers human). Also don't understand what they had to gain from the email. Worse thing the world ever did was give these nationals computers and phones!
Still Grumpy
Is your answer really that the west should not let certain nations have access to technology - on the basis that it belongs to us and it is for us to dole out to lesser peoples like a wise colonial master?

If so your attitude is disgraceful and belongs in the 19th century.
No Nick just sick of all the foreign calls and emails trying to rob me of my money!
[quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GRUMPY PARENT[/bold] wrote: I would hope that results of this nature in any case would not be sent via email, I am sure they are not, but it just shows what humans are capable of (if you can call these spammers human). Also don't understand what they had to gain from the email. Worse thing the world ever did was give these nationals computers and phones! Still Grumpy[/p][/quote]Is your answer really that the west should not let certain nations have access to technology - on the basis that it belongs to us and it is for us to dole out to lesser peoples like a wise colonial master? If so your attitude is disgraceful and belongs in the 19th century.[/p][/quote]No Nick just sick of all the foreign calls and emails trying to rob me of my money! GRUMPY PARENT
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree