Birchwood couple save railway worker's life

Birchwood couple save railway worker's life

Birchwood couple save railway worker's life

First published in News

A BIRCHWOOD couple are hoping other groups will learn vital first aid skills after their training saved a man’s life at the weekend.

Barry and Erica Collins, from Birchwood, said they did not hesitate to help the collapsed railway worker, who died twice in front of them, at Kings Cross Station in London on Saturday.

Former police inspector Barry, who has previously also saved the life of a two-year-old girl who fell into the deep end of the pool on holiday in Majorca, added they were delighted to hear later that evening the man was sitting up in his hospital bed and smiling after their efforts.

Barry, aged 66, said: “We had been walking in a different direction to the way we were supposed to be going as Erica wanted to see the new roof at the station when this man suddenly dropped down in front of us.

“I was so proud of Erica as she started performing mouth-to-mouth straight away after we found he wasn’t breathing while I helped with CPR.

“We brought him back to life before he died on us again and we had to bring him around again before the paramedics arrived 10 minutes later.

“My son Andrew was laughing as he’s a first responder for St John’s Ambulance and said to me he’s in the job and hasn’t saved a life yet while I’ve saved two.”

Barry, who has just been appointed as the Lions Clubs International district governor elect for North West England, and his wife of 25 years Erica were on their way to celebrate United Nations Day with the Palace of Westminster Lions Club but said they ‘cleaned up well’ following the incident.

The granddad-of-four, who had previously arranged for first aid training at Birchwood Lions where he is a member, said: “You never know when first aid can come in handy.

“As a group we arrange a lot of events and we wanted to look after the public that attended them and essential first aid can be learned in a day.”

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:35am Tue 18 Mar 14

Nick Tessla says...

Well done Mr and Mrs Collins.

First aid lessons should be compulsory in schools and, perhaps, it could be introduced as part of the driving test.

Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived.
Well done Mr and Mrs Collins. First aid lessons should be compulsory in schools and, perhaps, it could be introduced as part of the driving test. Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived. Nick Tessla
  • Score: 3

2:34pm Tue 18 Mar 14

fedster says...

Nick Tessla wrote:
Well done Mr and Mrs Collins.

First aid lessons should be compulsory in schools and, perhaps, it could be introduced as part of the driving test.

Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived.
totally concur nick

a 2 hour lesson on first aid could save a life.

iam sure the education system could swing it into home economics (or what ever its called now a days)

or P.E a few hours a year through out the school life.
[quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: Well done Mr and Mrs Collins. First aid lessons should be compulsory in schools and, perhaps, it could be introduced as part of the driving test. Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived.[/p][/quote]totally concur nick a 2 hour lesson on first aid could save a life. iam sure the education system could swing it into home economics (or what ever its called now a days) or P.E a few hours a year through out the school life. fedster
  • Score: 2

3:25pm Tue 18 Mar 14

GRUMPY PARENT says...

"Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived".

If they had not done the CPR Nick to restart his heart, which is what the story is about, would you still stand by that statement?

Still Grumpy (but probably wouldn't be if I was on what Erica was in that picture)
"Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived". If they had not done the CPR Nick to restart his heart, which is what the story is about, would you still stand by that statement? Still Grumpy (but probably wouldn't be if I was on what Erica was in that picture) GRUMPY PARENT
  • Score: -1

3:37pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Nick Tessla says...

GRUMPY PARENT wrote:
"Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived".

If they had not done the CPR Nick to restart his heart, which is what the story is about, would you still stand by that statement?

Still Grumpy (but probably wouldn't be if I was on what Erica was in that picture)
Yes, I stand by what I said, he would have suffered brain death.
[quote][p][bold]GRUMPY PARENT[/bold] wrote: "Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived". If they had not done the CPR Nick to restart his heart, which is what the story is about, would you still stand by that statement? Still Grumpy (but probably wouldn't be if I was on what Erica was in that picture)[/p][/quote]Yes, I stand by what I said, he would have suffered brain death. Nick Tessla
  • Score: -4

3:57pm Tue 18 Mar 14

GRUMPY PARENT says...

Nick Tessla wrote:
GRUMPY PARENT wrote:
"Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived".

If they had not done the CPR Nick to restart his heart, which is what the story is about, would you still stand by that statement?

Still Grumpy (but probably wouldn't be if I was on what Erica was in that picture)
Yes, I stand by what I said, he would have suffered brain death.
Good job they revived him twice then or he may have suffered brain damage! Either way without their intervention we can be assured he would be "clinically and brain dead".
Such a happy sole you Nick! unlike me Still Grumpy.
[quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GRUMPY PARENT[/bold] wrote: "Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived". If they had not done the CPR Nick to restart his heart, which is what the story is about, would you still stand by that statement? Still Grumpy (but probably wouldn't be if I was on what Erica was in that picture)[/p][/quote]Yes, I stand by what I said, he would have suffered brain death.[/p][/quote]Good job they revived him twice then or he may have suffered brain damage! Either way without their intervention we can be assured he would be "clinically and brain dead". Such a happy sole you Nick! unlike me Still Grumpy. GRUMPY PARENT
  • Score: -1

4:06pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Nick Tessla says...

GRUMPY PARENT wrote:
Nick Tessla wrote:
GRUMPY PARENT wrote:
"Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived".

If they had not done the CPR Nick to restart his heart, which is what the story is about, would you still stand by that statement?

Still Grumpy (but probably wouldn't be if I was on what Erica was in that picture)
Yes, I stand by what I said, he would have suffered brain death.
Good job they revived him twice then or he may have suffered brain damage! Either way without their intervention we can be assured he would be "clinically and brain dead".
Such a happy sole you Nick! unlike me Still Grumpy.
I don't dispute that their actions were praiseworthy and admirable and that they saved him. What I dispute is such phrases as "who died twice in front of them".

To misquote Ian Fleming , you only die once.

What cheerful flatfish have to do with, I have no idea.
[quote][p][bold]GRUMPY PARENT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GRUMPY PARENT[/bold] wrote: "Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived". If they had not done the CPR Nick to restart his heart, which is what the story is about, would you still stand by that statement? Still Grumpy (but probably wouldn't be if I was on what Erica was in that picture)[/p][/quote]Yes, I stand by what I said, he would have suffered brain death.[/p][/quote]Good job they revived him twice then or he may have suffered brain damage! Either way without their intervention we can be assured he would be "clinically and brain dead". Such a happy sole you Nick! unlike me Still Grumpy.[/p][/quote]I don't dispute that their actions were praiseworthy and admirable and that they saved him. What I dispute is such phrases as "who died twice in front of them". To misquote Ian Fleming , you only die once. What cheerful flatfish have to do with, I have no idea. Nick Tessla
  • Score: 0

4:17pm Tue 18 Mar 14

GRUMPY PARENT says...

Nick Tessla wrote:
GRUMPY PARENT wrote:
Nick Tessla wrote:
GRUMPY PARENT wrote:
"Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived".

If they had not done the CPR Nick to restart his heart, which is what the story is about, would you still stand by that statement?

Still Grumpy (but probably wouldn't be if I was on what Erica was in that picture)
Yes, I stand by what I said, he would have suffered brain death.
Good job they revived him twice then or he may have suffered brain damage! Either way without their intervention we can be assured he would be "clinically and brain dead".
Such a happy sole you Nick! unlike me Still Grumpy.
I don't dispute that their actions were praiseworthy and admirable and that they saved him. What I dispute is such phrases as "who died twice in front of them".

To misquote Ian Fleming , you only die once.

What cheerful flatfish have to do with, I have no idea.
Because like you, flatfish don't smile on the end of my line when I an reeling them in. Sorry just winding you up Nick.
Still Grumpy (but FFS at least forge £20's not £1's you muppet)
[quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GRUMPY PARENT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GRUMPY PARENT[/bold] wrote: "Heart stopped and not breathing does not mean dead. If he was clinically dead he could not be revived". If they had not done the CPR Nick to restart his heart, which is what the story is about, would you still stand by that statement? Still Grumpy (but probably wouldn't be if I was on what Erica was in that picture)[/p][/quote]Yes, I stand by what I said, he would have suffered brain death.[/p][/quote]Good job they revived him twice then or he may have suffered brain damage! Either way without their intervention we can be assured he would be "clinically and brain dead". Such a happy sole you Nick! unlike me Still Grumpy.[/p][/quote]I don't dispute that their actions were praiseworthy and admirable and that they saved him. What I dispute is such phrases as "who died twice in front of them". To misquote Ian Fleming , you only die once. What cheerful flatfish have to do with, I have no idea.[/p][/quote]Because like you, flatfish don't smile on the end of my line when I an reeling them in. Sorry just winding you up Nick. Still Grumpy (but FFS at least forge £20's not £1's you muppet) GRUMPY PARENT
  • Score: -2

5:32am Wed 19 Mar 14

Kev_M0XDJ says...

The British Red Cross already go into schools to teach 1st aid to children around the UK. So why not get your kids school to book a course. One day the could save a life and it could even be YOURS.

http://www.redcross.
org.uk/What-we-do/Fi
rst-aid/First-aid-to
-suit-you
The British Red Cross already go into schools to teach 1st aid to children around the UK. So why not get your kids school to book a course. One day the could save a life and it could even be YOURS. http://www.redcross. org.uk/What-we-do/Fi rst-aid/First-aid-to -suit-you Kev_M0XDJ
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree